Author Topic: advise on hick selfbow  (Read 8095 times)

Offline sailordad

advise on hick selfbow
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »
well i got this  hick stave from mike ;D( the other hick stave i have is put away ,my younger son wants to work that into his own bow little by little when home on leave)
it is pulling 14 inches with a 1.5 inch brace right now at about 35 lbs.
one limb had natural deflex the other natural reflex,light proper twist.  i have been thinking of making a form and heating some reflex back into both limbs before i go
any further on the tiller.
not real worried on a real high draw weight,the person it is being made for isnt real picky on weight but about a 26 inch draw.

let me know what ya all think of the tiller so far and about adding in reflex.
feel free to make little circles or marks to point out tiller issues.

here are some pics

this is like i said,14 inches with a 1.5 brace

unstrung,same limb to the left

thanks                                                                              peace,
                                                                                              tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline redwasp

Re: advise on hick selfbow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »
looks good to me so far how long is it? looks like right limb should be left alone at the fades but im not an expert.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
im thinkin both could use more bend midlimb to tips, and the fade on the right could bend more also.  i would leave the fade on the left limb alone for right now, i think it bending there is why you are getting the set.  i know nothing about reflex but i would say it looks like a real good start.  JMHO.  tell your son i wish him well.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »
What armymedic said. To me the right limb appears stiffer. It could be an illusion. Flip the bow around and see. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:06:03 am »
I would say If you are going to reflex it do it now. I wouldn't do any more tillering until you get both limbs reflexed the same amount. A good 2-3" reflex will work nicely. Good luck!
Justin Blunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:18:28 am »
Tim How long is it? what is the front view profile Pyramid? or paralell then tapering?

As for adding reflex I would do it, you don't need a form you can brace it backwards about 3" and
hit it with the heatgun. As for the tiller I would stay away from the fades for now, its easy to get a ton of set
in the fade area. Remember with hickory to keep it dry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:16:13 am »
thanks everyone,
i dont have the ambition to go get my tape measure right now,or at all today(its our 20th anniversary today so no touching bows)
i know the wood is good and dry,its been in the house for about a month,the indoor humidity is at 35% and i dont plan on turning on
the humidifier untill this on is finished.
i will try and get measurements and more pics much later tonight. gotta spend lots of quality time ,with my wonderful and beautifull bride of 20 yrs ,today.

peace,
                                                                              tim

cant believe she actualy put up with me and all mt crap for 20 yrs, i think she is a keeper :-* :o

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:27 am »
Congrats tim :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:46:12 am »
Congrats on 20 Years....I have been with Mine for 26...so I think I will keep Her also....heck I wouldn't know what to do with any Strange at this point in my Life anyways!!!!!!!!  ;)

As for the Stave....glad to see that you are finally getting to work on it....Thats Pignut Hickory from Tennessee....tough stuff.....I would leave the Fade alone on the Left Limb for a while....and get it bending smoothly from a little  before Mid Limb to 5-6 inches from the Tips....The whole Right Limb seems to be a Bit stiff....I would work it from the Fades on out some more.....and get it short stringed as soon as safely possible too ....this will give you a better look at how the Limbs are really bending....and like Dana said....give Us a Profile Shot too....helps get the Juices flowing...if you can see all of the Bow

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:54:39 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:09:19 am »
well i did a little more work on this one tonight,managed to get it on a shorter string too ;D
was nervous stringing it on a short string for the first time,like always(i have heard that horrible crack sound doing this before).
its braced at 4.75 inches from the top of the existing handle right now,have it pulling to about 15 inches on the tiller stick.
it is 1.75 inches wide at the fades,tapers to 5/8ths at tips,62 inches ntn
need a little more advise please.
feel free to make those cool circles and what not ;D :)
and oh yeah,more pics and a front profile as asked for
it will get a little narrower in the handle area yet too

braced

the drawn pics are from each side(flipped on the stick)

as always thanks for the input folks :)

peace,
                                                                                      tim
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:18:10 am by sailordad »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:32 am »
looks good so far Tim....the Left limb may be a bit stiff right out of the Fade.....take it out a little more and see what it looks like
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:44 am »
Brace looks good Tim, Personally I would stay off the fades for now. I disagree Mke the left limb looks good, Right fade looks stiffer and then out a little bends a bit much. I think I would get the outer limbs bending more but leave the tips stiff. But I'm having a hard time as it looks like you took the picture on a downward angle and thats messing with me.

With that front view profile I would go for an eliptical tiller with the fades barely bending.
Is it showing any signs of taking Set? If so figure out where and thats where its bending too much. I would heat in some reflex also.

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
                     Depends on what Picture you look at left in one ....right in the Other............. ;)

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 08:42:00 am »
Either way their bending about the same just not in the same places

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:48 pm »
Come on guys weigh in on this eh :)

Manistique, MI