Author Topic: osage ELB  (Read 8897 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
osage ELB
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:22:41 pm »
This is a bow I built for a SCA group to be raffled off to make money for their group. It is 71 1/2"n/n and 75" t/t and pulls 45#@28". 1 3/16" for the center 20" and tapering to 1/2" tips. Thin ringed osage with a little squiggle at the upper tip. The horn nocks are made from cow horn(Justin's I think) and the handle wrap is hemp cord. I still have to set the handle wrap in glue...and a "floppy" rest for comfort.  I've shot about 50 or more arrows through her and plan to shoot at least 50 more before sending her off. She shoots quite well with a little hand shock but only holds very little set.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: osage ELB
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:29 pm »
Nice Bow Pat......... nice and simple and deadly..thats all they need to be....... ;) One question though....what did that poor Tree do to you???? You got it all Eyebolted down so it cant go anywhere........... >:D  I aint no Tree Hugger....but that looks like abuse to me......... ;D O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
cloths line! ;D  O:)  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:05:01 pm »
I like it..!!! ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:19:03 pm »
  Nice Pat, taking a liking to the elbs myself lately. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
Very nice bow Pat and very generous of you also :)

Haven't tried an ELB yet but its on my to do list.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 06:38:15 pm »
Thanks David and others.
    Steve, I've done about 5 or 6 ELB style bows and they shoot the most accuratly of all my bows. I guess it's the length. 
Thanks Dana, you need to try one.
   Below are a few pics of the cow horn nocks. I seem to be getting better at making them. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:11:41 pm »
I am just not good at fitting the horn nocks right for some reason, My transition never comes out good. Yours look very good. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 07:34:52 pm »
Pat at least their on in the right direction eh ::) :P ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

slr

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
Nice work Pat.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:42:57 pm »
I like it Pat.Nice clean lines,pretty arc,and I like the cow horn tips. Good work!!!.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:44:49 pm »
Steve, the first few sets were terrible. I spent more time on them than I did the bows. ::) This set came out pretty good. I drilled out the center first with a reshaped spade bit then fitted them to a 1/2" dowel with a matching taper and shaped them so the transition area was pretty thin. Then installed them on the bow and added the thread wrap to make the transition a bit easier.
  Thanks for reminding me Dana. ::)  Since that bow I always at least double check. ;D  I saw that bow last spring on the raffle table at the Hickory NC shoot. The horn (antler) nocks on it were still pointing back. ;)
   Thanks, slr and Pete.      Pat

Offline Don

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:30 pm »
Very nice, love the tips.
May I suggest and it's only a suggestion. Try using hot pure bees wax on the hemp wrap, soak it in real good.
It seems to set up really stiff and doesn't get sticky.
Again nice.

Don

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:31 pm »
Very nice Pat.  You could get another 3 or 4 inches of draw length with that length of bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 11:03:47 pm »
Very nice Pat. Love the tips!!

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS