Author Topic: MR Replica but just a little longer  (Read 15327 times)

stevesjem

MR Replica but just a little longer
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »
Hi Guys

I thought I would share this bow that I have just completed with you all.

I was asked to make a replica of one of the larger MR bows but the difference was that this one needed to draw to 35", The weight was requested at 140lb@32" and whatever she came out at 35".

Well the MR bow was MR81A 1607, this is one of the 2 slab sided bows that were found on the MR.
I managed to find a very dense piece of Italian Yew of the neccessary length 84", This wood has a ring count of 82 rpi, so nice and dense.

This picture shows how dense this wood is.

I must admit it was quite difficult to get it to 1 single groth ring on the back as they were so close together, to close for a cabinet scraper, anyway after 3 days and a lot of sandpaper and blisters I got it to the growth ring I was after.
It was quite difficult to try and keep the slab sides throughout the length of the bow and still keep a nice tiller but I eventually got there.

Here it is at 33", the weight at 32" is 140, at 33 is 150, at 34 158 and at 35" is 166lb

Even after all this bending I was very surprised that little or no set had occured in this bow.

Well the customer is coming from Holland to collect it next week so I hope he is feeling strong.
Anyway I am happy to have managed to complete the bow he asked for and I must say, I think it is probably one of the best bows I have made, so I was very happy.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:21:37 pm by stevesjem »

Offline adb

Re: MR Replica but just a little longer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:00:27 pm »
Hey, Steve

WOW!!! What a bow. A truly awesome piece of yew. Looks like you had lots of knots to deal with, as well. Do you do anything extra with knots, other than leaving them a little proud? What is a slab sided bow? One with more of a square profile, than the traditional rounded belly profile? Is the slab sided bow stronger, or did you want to make an exact MR replica?
166#@35", and no set... wow. Your tiller is surely circular, with all of both limbs working. What sort of string will the bow have when it leaves your shop? Also, what did you charge the customer for this bow? (Please send me a PM regarding the cost, if it would be more appropriate). Jeez... I sound like a 12 year old in the toy store... sorry for all the questions mate!

Nice work, cheers, Adam.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:06:02 pm by adb »

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »
You have truly created a work of art. So simple and beautiful and yet so deadly. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

stevesjem

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:35:41 pm »
Hi Adam,
with this wood the knots are not really of major concern, the wood is so hard, When you work it, it's rather like working on metal, you have to do a lot of the work with a metal file rather than a rasp.
A slab sided bow is just what the word conjures up, imagine an oval shape and then take of the sides until they are flat, This is the 1st slab sider I have made so I'm not sure if the performance will be better or worse than other shapes, I just wanted to make it as close as possible to the original, The dimensions are exactly the same except that the original is 5" shorter, so I just wonder what the draw weight of the original must have been????
The string is 24 strands of Fast flight and that is how it will stay, not historically correct I know, but I have no idea how the original strings were made.
This bow cost the customer £700.00 but he is a close freind of mine so I did him a bit of a deal considering the work involved.

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for your kind words mate.

Cheers

Steve

Bowbound

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:34:53 am »
Well it will be a definite contender for BOM. Very nice bow from what must of been a very nice stave.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:46:25 am »
Wheres an armor-clad frenchman when you need him? :)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:31:21 am »
Impressive!  Especially with those knots going out on the side through the sapwood. Scary stuff :)

How much reflex did it start out with as a stave? It must be storing a huge amount of energy, being that straight and with such a round tiller. Pretty cool  8)

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:32:32 am »
A beautiful and impressive bow. Congratulations.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

stevesjem

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:36:54 pm »
Impressive!  Especially with those knots going out on the side through the sapwood. Scary stuff :)

How much reflex did it start out with as a stave? It must be storing a huge amount of energy, being that straight and with such a round tiller. Pretty cool  8)

Thats just the thing, Knots are of no concern with this wood.

Steve

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 03:18:21 pm »
 HI STEVE  MAN THAT RELLEY LOOKS NICE  IV GOT A COUPLE 80  TO 100 IN STAVES IM WANTING TO MAKE SOMTHING LIKE THIS PROBLEM  IS  I CANT HARDLEY FIND ANY DEMNISONS  FOR THESE MR BOWS  CAN  YOU TELL ME WHAT  YOU HAVE AS  FOR HOW WIDE IT IS AND WHAT DO THE NOCK S TAPPER TO  I RELLEY WANNA TRY MAKING SOMTHING LIKE IT  IF I CAN EVER GET THE MEASURMENTS CLOSE HAHA  AGAIN  IT RELLEY DOES LOOK NICE  BROCK

stevesjem

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 05:02:54 pm »
HI STEVE  MAN THAT RELLEY LOOKS NICE  IV GOT A COUPLE 80  TO 100 IN STAVES IM WANTING TO MAKE SOMTHING LIKE THIS PROBLEM  IS  I CANT HARDLEY FIND ANY DEMNISONS  FOR THESE MR BOWS  CAN  YOU TELL ME WHAT  YOU HAVE AS  FOR HOW WIDE IT IS AND WHAT DO THE NOCK S TAPPER TO  I RELLEY WANNA TRY MAKING SOMTHING LIKE IT  IF I CAN EVER GET THE MEASURMENTS CLOSE HAHA  AGAIN  IT RELLEY DOES LOOK NICE  BROCK

Send me a PM

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 10:09:21 pm »
Thats about as nice as I have ever seen, must have been really exceptional wood and you equaled it with your workmanship. I can't wait to hear what kind of distances may be posted from this bow. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 11:52:53 pm »
That is a beauty Steve, and those knots really highlight the quality of the wood, and the craftsmanship is wonderful.

Rich

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:29:19 pm »
Very nice. Got to be really smooth shooter. Bookmarked, too, for Nov Self Bow of the Month. I used your full draw on the t-stick. You might want to post a full draw with someone cranking it back. A spruce tree or such as background is always nice.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
Steve ,that's an incredible piece of art.I like everything about it.Super job on a super stave of yew!!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas