Author Topic: A Bent Stick Eh  (Read 13475 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: A Bent Stick Eh
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 07:59:37 pm »
John the snow melted today but where I'm hunting theres 3" and go another 20 miles north and theres almost a foot of snow :o

Thanks cracker but the draw is to short for a big guy like you :D

Thanks Shannon, I also like the tiller its no dog gets the arra moving pretty quick :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:11 am »
Very nice Dana. I would like to try Vine maple some day. How does it like heat?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Ranger B

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 06:22:47 am »
Very nice Dana.  I've got to learn how to use dye like you guys.  I've got work to do in that category but you've got her mastered.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 07:03:34 am »
Sidewinder as Gordon said it steams pretty good but does not bend real great with dry heat although it did respond nicely to belly toasting.

Thanks Jimmy, as for the dye job I'm certainly no master, I just used ox blood red fieblings on the tips, dark brown on the rest and then dabbed some
black on with a feather, after it was dry hit it lightly with 220 grit and sealed, Be safe over in Afghanistan eh.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:35:32 am by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:55 am »
Good job Dana, I like the dye scheme.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 10:06:39 am »
Nice stick eh, Dana.  ;D I got some VM billets from Gordon that I need to do something with.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:17 am »
Thanks Greg and Ryano, its good wood ryan, not osage but its real nice stuff :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 04:14:54 pm »
Very nice job on a challenging stave, thats what this all about!  Love the tiller on that bow. Steve

escanabajosh

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 12:13:43 am »
that things cool! you'r getting preaty good at making them uncle dana. i'm thinking i'm not taking winter classes so i'll have to set up a visit for early next month, let me know what ya think.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:15 am »
C/Mon Josh.....it's what 60 miles............I'd be up there every weekend if I had someone that close that was this good to learn from!!! I drove 1600 miles to shoot some arrows with Him this Summer....and I will be back again this coming Summer to do even more
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:33 am »
Steve, coming from you that is a compliment indeed :)

Josh, just call and get yer but up here, you going to camp for the opener this weekend?

Mike looking forward to another visit from ya, did you know that the local Wal-Mart doesn't sell Trenary toast :o

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 07:40:05 am »
Well......I guess I will have to take me a Supply from Ishpeming when I come.....and buy a few extra for You!! I know how cranky I get with a Cup of Coffee....without Da Trenary Toasts fer dunkin!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »
Mike I'm going to check the local grocery store, I hardly ever shop there as everything is about 25% more expensive
but I bet they have Trenary Toast :) Hoping to make the Trenary Outhouse races this year also, man what hoot they are ;D
BTW pasties for supper tonight :)

Manistique, MI

escanabajosh

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »
yup heading up friday after work (get there around 6) and staying till tuesday. mollys little sister is hunting this year so she's going to be with till sunday.  anything going on thanksgiving? i think my mom and dad are going to camp. i gotta bed i gotta build soon, and the house is just about all moved in now ( i even got to set up the shop a little) theres a few things to put away yet. 3 weeks left of classes till finals. then i should have a bunch more time. but gotta get to class test day. talk to ya later.

Offline Dane

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 06:54:21 pm »
My turn to say great job, Dana. The snow, however, yuck. I hate that stuff more than Brussel spouts.

Rick showed me a vine maple he made, at the last New Engand primitive gathering, and it was a beautiful weapon. That is the only experience I have had with vine maple.

My only criticism, and this is just me, but I wish you had left the wood natural. But red works too :) Humans have been using red for decoration since the dawn of humanity, after all. It is a power color, and strong magic, some would say.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts