Author Topic: Making the lightest arrow  (Read 15126 times)

Offline richpierce

Re: Making the lightest arrow
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 01:06:09 pm »
Phragmites do make super-light arrows.  Shooting for distance, they easily out-shoot anything else I have tried.  Nock inserts are required as are foreshaft inserts.  Harvest the thickest, straightest ones you can find, before first frost if possible.

Offline david w.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 06:33:55 pm »
David, if you are going to shoot primarily targets and 3-D then lighter arrows will give you flatter trajectory.   I shoot the same arrows whether I'm shooting 3-D or hunting so my knowledge of the arrow's trajectory is implanted in my mind. It doesn't matter how flat your arrows fly as long as you can put them where you want them. I believe you complicate your shooting by shooting different arrows for target and different arrows for hunting.    Pat

the bow i will be using is only for targets.  Its a very light weight longbbow I wouldnt want to hunt deer with it.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

jamie

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 11:08:03 am »
also if using phragmites , find them as straight as possible. they dont like to be starightened. if the bend is too much you'll just crush the walls and ruin the shaft when bending.

Offline xin

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »
B and Destructo, You both know your bows and arrows well, for a couple of kids; but, you've got a few years to pack on before you can lay claim to the "coveted" title "Old Men".  You guys finish your Gerbers while I top the mourning with  some milk, natures way  of keeping the spine in your arrow.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:24:09 pm by Pat B »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »
                                                                                 T.M.I.

>:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Franklyn A

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »
Another vote here for Sitka Spruce as a nice. light, rugged arrow material

Offline xin

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 11:35:53 am »
Destructo, chronically bad but not rising to the level of evil.  K.B.Z.E.R.  Go play with the  other kids and stop calling people names or you won't get dessert.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 11:47:40 am »
Hey guys, lets keep this about "lightest arrows" and not personalities. >:(     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline xin

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 12:37:04 pm »
B'ster, relax , I'm just having fun and I think Destruto was also.  A little levity never hurts anything or anybody. Relax , smooth out.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »
B'ster, relax , I'm just having fun and I think Destruto was also.  A little levity never hurts anything or anybody. Relax , smooth out.

I'll bite....what is K.B.Z.E.R  ???  If it's not appropriate...please PM me......OK........... :-[
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 01:12:29 pm »
Xin, I'm about as smooth as it gets. ;)  My job is to stop the snowball before it gets too far down the hill.  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline xin

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:10:49 am »
Destructo,  K.B.Z.E.R. is just jibberish in response to your T.M.I., which I suppose is too much information.   As I pointed out in an earlier post, this is all in fun which I think you realized, but I'm not so sure The B'ster did.  Any way , If you or the B'ster were offended, I apologize for  repartee which obviously was misconstrued.  There  is no snowball to stop.   Both of you fellows post some really nice bows and arrows. Destructo , your knives are real works of  art  and I really like your Wampanoag style bows.   

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 07:55:39 am »
  Tanks a Lot Eh!!! I can take da joke ot ya know....cause I'm a Yooper....and We does allot a jokin bouts ourselves ya know.... :D

All kidding aside....I think I like making Knives as much or maybe more than Bows..... But when I am building Bows....I sure have a preference to Native Bows over .....Recurves........ :o
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 09:09:23 am »
I'm not offended...only trying to prevent possible problems. That's why I suggested you guys keep it on topic.  ;)       Pat

Offline xin

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:42 pm »
Destructo,  I've been bowyering, fletching, and knapping for 15 years.  All of my bows,except for one , have been some sort of N.A. reproduction with the Wampanoag being my favorite, even paid a visit to it at Harvard Peabody museum.   My knapping has only been sporatic over the last 15yrs, but the last year I have been concentrating on breaking rocks.  I've got a long way to go before I'm as good as you.  The bow making thing is a lot easier than knapping.  Any rock over 2inches, will soon be a broken rock if I'm knapping it.  Really frustrating to get a good Clovis goiing only to snap it in half as you flute it.   B'ster, I'll do my best to stay on topic,but sometimes a little drift off course can break the monotony..  I've been reading PA magazine since around the first year it was published and have been lurking around this website almost as long as it has lbeen up, even through the period when it was almost nonfunctional.  I find both informative and entertaining, although both can at times can use a little mirth.  Any  attempts on my part to introduce levity will not be mean spirited.