Author Topic: This wood seems souspicious....  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Boro

This wood seems souspicious....
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:07:43 pm »
Hello good people,
I got some wood under the name hickory. It does not resemble to hickory to me so I must say - I don't know. Here are some pics of it and I would apricieate some help regarding this wood.

I also started a bow of it  and made it to the short string. It is 68 ntn bent handle quite narrow (the stave didn't allow any wider) 7/8, with a twist in one limb and a knot in the other. Since it is not done yet I don't have a draw weight but I am hoping for at least 40@28. I could not brace it without a stringer so I think it will make 40 at the end. I allready have some string follow 1 1/2 (due to the narrowness IMO). All opinions are welcome.
Thanks
Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

Papa Matt

Re: This wood seems souspicious....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:14:50 pm »
Here's my take. It resembles in some ways hickory that I have worked with before, that had some sort of disease which turned the wood a different color and made it softer because it was essentially dead wood. The tree itself was still alive when I cut it, because it had green leaves. But the wood is not the same. It was softer, worked different, and was not quite as strong. This may be what you have.

Have you worked hickory before, so as to know what it should be like? Does this wood feel softer (can your fingernail put a significant groove in it)? If you scrape it, does it scrape very easily, losing larger flakes at a time?

~~Papa Matt

Offline Boro

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:37 pm »
Pappa Matt,
I haven't worked hickory before, this would be my first encounter with it. As for the fingernale test it does not leave any marks and i have a sharp hiss sound with a drawknife and slow progress with a rasp. Hard and heavy wood. Made a tillering tree out of it too.

I also have some tillering issues since it has twist in one limb and a knot in the other. What do You make of it?
thanks
Boris

Zagreb, Croatia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:04 pm »
At first glance it looked like walnut to me.  In any case, if it's hard and heavy it should make a good bow.  If it's taking a lot of set, it may not be fully dry...and might be a reason for the heaviness of the wood.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:38:05 pm »
If the fingernail does not leave a mark, then from the looks of it and what you say, I believe it is hickory. Looks like some staves are of sapwood and others from heartwood, causing them to have different colors.

As for your tiller, you could take some twist out by steam bending, or perhaps by just using dry heat. I have always steamed hickory but I think some have said on here that you can use just dry heat. This would make your tillering easier. Just take it slow and only bend it just enough on your tiller tree to see what needs work and don't over stress the wood. Looks like your doing ok. The right limb seems fine so far, you just need to work on that left limb with the twist. I would probably try to steam the twist out. Let's see what some others have to say.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Boro

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
Of coarse all are welcome to say anything. I am a total novice and need as much feedback as possible.
Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:49 pm »
Could be a hickory heartwood board, cuz of the darker color. Not as good as hickory sapwood. I had a hickory heartwood board, which I cut into backing strips. Didn't work very well... had several failures.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:33:49 pm »
Pecan is a hickory. Maybe it is pecan or heartwood hickory.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »
Looks like Walnut to me.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:46:22 pm »
Got 2 hickory boards in the shed just like it....its heartwood( always make sure to order sapwood...DOH!) :-[....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 05:47:03 pm »
Some of the hickories have dark heartwood like that, our mockernut hickory here is like that. The grain looks like hickory.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:52:57 pm »
Looks like hickory heart wood.. To me

Offline Boro

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:18:14 pm »
Well, even if it is not a sapling I won't burn it  :P
I need a lots of practice. This will be good for practice.

So You ordered it also Brian?  ;D

Thanks for looking and answering
Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 06:21:46 pm »
Ya, from a local sawmill...forgot to specify sapwood...got about 30-40 board feet..lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:42:32 pm »
as far as the twist goes, leave it there,tiller around it accordinly

it adds a nice bit of character.that little bit of twist will be a nice learning experience and yet shouldnt be all that difficult to tiller with,jmho

peace,
                                                                               tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd