Author Topic: Laburnum  (Read 7798 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Laburnum
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »
 Thank you Bootboy; I posted the pics to in response to Radon's question about Laburnum and don't want to Hi-jack his thread. That bow was August BOM for 2005 and is featured in the holiday issue of 2005 PA mag.  Thank you ,  Keenan

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:50 am »
Hi all,

I#ve had very little time to work on the bow. but it is now in a "late stage of floor tillering".

here are a few pics:

Bows Back with a bit of character

Side view. Bow has about 3.5" reflex

one of my problems. This knot is not looking too good

same knot on back. The toolmarks make me nervous too. I think I will patch that whole area with sinew.

Radon

Dresden - Germany

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 10:49:18 am »
Radon that is looking great. Going to be some nice charactor. You are doing really good on that and should make a nice bow. that Laburnum is really strong so you should have plenty of wood there of work with. Can't wait to see it finished but don't rush it. A piece of Laburnum like that is worth gold.  Be careful with the dust. Has it made you sick at all?

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:53 pm »
Hi Keenan,

so far I have produced shaves and not so much dust. But I'm always wearing a mask when wood dust is around.
Laburnum and yew dust are poisonous but must wood dusts can cause cancer, especially oak and beech.

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:39:53 pm »
thats a nice looking bow, I've been following the thread with interest, because laburnum groes around here so I might be in luck  ;D  It sounds like a good wood. I'm always on the look out for good bow wood(as we all are), and usually  its always somewhere else or really expensive and hard to get . So  its looks like a day out with my saw very soon
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 06:36:51 am »
Update:

I've worked a little more on the bow.
The wood feels similar to osage (maybe a bit harder and as "brittle")
Unfortunately the bow developed a huge hinge, so I had to tiller it down more. I came to a draw weight of maybe 45# which was much lower than I wanted.
At this time the bow was 68". I decided to shorten it to 64" and was very surprised how much weight it gained from that.
So far, the tiller looks promising. There are still about 1 1/2" reflex left.
More to come. And pics too.

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline Radon

• European
Laburnum bow (first pics)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 07:12:05 am »
Hej all,

the bow is finally finished.
Here are the first photos. More to come  ;)

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 07:30:31 am »
Whaa!!! That is freakin'awesome! The colors match so nicely! That laburnum is really beautiful. Those nocks are also a very unique design. I hope you don't mind me copying them? ;)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Timo

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:24 am »
Real perty, how bouts some hero shots?

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »
The pics of the finished bow are here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12189.0.html

Radon
Dresden - Germany