Author Topic: Laburnum  (Read 7799 times)

Offline Radon

• European
Laburnum
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:30:25 am »
Hej all,

I cut down a large branch of laburnum tis autum. After haven split it, I managed to get four billets out.
The heartwood is very hard and seems to be very similar to osage.

Now my questions:

Anybody here who has already built a bow from laburnum?
What about the sapwood (it would sure look great but I'm not sure if it is suitable)?
What dimensions would you recommend (more wide or narrow)?
Backing? I want to back one of the bows with bamboo. The heartwood seems to be pretty compression resistant. Any opinions on that?

Thanks already

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline AndrewS

Re: Laburnum
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:31:59 am »
Hi Radon, I have seen bows of laburnum build from Jürgen Junkmanns. He is a german bowyer. May be you can contact him?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:12 am »
 Radon,
 Laburnum is an excellent bow wood and extremely beautiful. I would be interested in obtaining more if you have any to trade. Be carefull as the dust is fairly toxic and can make you very sick.
  The sapwood is beautiful and can be used as accent but is slightly weak in tension. It is a very strong wood and you will find that you will go fairly thin the reach a good bending weight. I have a laburnum flat bow that is about 1 5/8" wide mid limb and 1/2 thick. And 5/16" at the tips and 3/8" thick. If my memory is right I think that one is 65" long and 61lbs. at 28"
  It works well with sinew but can be self bow if carefull on chasing the ring. I'll try to find some pics for you.   Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:57:17 pm by Keenan »

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »
Laburnum was the preferred longbow wood of 19th century Swiss bowyers, despite them living close to the best yew country. Laburnum was the bow wood of ancient Gauls, and was in all likelyhood widely used in Europe in later historic times. British pro bowyer Chris Boyton has built superb laburnum bows and rates the wood very highly. One of the most elastic timbers around and extremely pretty. Still hunting for the first bow-quality labbie stick myself :(

Tuukka

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:09 pm »
Hi,

thanks a lot for your answers. That all sounds very promising.
Keenan: Those are great pics. Beautiful bow. Let me think a bit about your offer.

I'll keep you updated.

Radon

Dresden - Germany

Bowbound

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:48:14 pm »
I have never worked laburnum, want too! But form what i have heard most laburnum is just as good as all but the best yew staves. It should make a very nice bow.

Stew

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:23:19 am »
Hi guys,

Bumping an old thread here but couldn't see the point in starting a new one for this q.  ;D

What do you do with Laburnum sapwood? Should it be treated the same as Yew?

Cheers,

Stew.

Snake-Jo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:14 am »
@Stew: The sapwood is a nice accent to the realy choco-brown inner wood. The colour of the sapwood is (after exposing some time to sunlight) a greyish light brown. Do not use ist, it is weak in tension.
And do not cut the back ring, avoid notches.  :)

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:17 am »
Hi,

the laburnum bow is in progress.
I removed all the sapwood.
Unfortunatels there is one spot with a not very good looking knot and nearby a slight violation of the first ring. I'm giong to patch that area with some sort of backing. I thing rawhide or canvas should do.

I'll keep you updated

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Stew

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »
@Stew: The sapwood is a nice accent to the realy choco-brown inner wood. The colour of the sapwood is (after exposing some time to sunlight) a greyish light brown. Do not use ist, it is weak in tension.
And do not cut the back ring, avoid notches.  :)

That's a real shame. The colour contrast would have been nice to keep but performance comes first.

DCM

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:16:04 pm »
Same as "arrowwood," no?  Usually a bush?  I'd look for "suckers" on the stump in the coming couple of years for arrow shafting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:34 pm »
David, I believe you are thinking about viburnum and not laburnam. The labs and vibs are different! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DCM

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:42:25 pm »
LOL!  You are right Pat.  Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »
We'll forgive you this time but don't let it happen again! >:(       ;D ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:11:09 am »
gorgeous bow mate!
 How did you do the handle on the back? Can we get some photos of the back side of the handle
knapp 'um if you got 'um