Author Topic: Help me tiller my first bow please!  (Read 7007 times)

Offline adb

Re: Help me tiller my first bow please!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »
Don't touch the fades! Get mid-limb and tips to bend. Don't use the long string much more. Try and get it to low brace asap.

Offline seantOH

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 09:52:47 am »
Thanks! I didn't touch the fades  :)  I removed quite a bit of wood out of the last 1/3 of the limbs limbs last night.  I have been using a tillering tool described on the Tradgang website to find my high and low areas.  I have put a string on and have a picture of the bow at low brace.  The picture on the tree is 18" and 47 lbs.  I want this bow to be 50 to 55 lbs at 25".  What do I do next?  How does the tiller look?  Thanks for all of the advice!

seantOH

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:39:29 am »
You are still almost Hinged on both Limbs....I would take wood from F to T on the both Limbs......and try to get the Stress off of the fades....leave the Tips for last.....and get to a Shorter String sooner too....will give you a lot better picture of how the Limbs are really bending...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline seantOH

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 10:53:42 am »
El Destructo,

Thank you very much!  F through T is definitely the thickest part of my limbs that are left!  I will work on them to night!  Have a great weekend!!

seantOH

Offline seantOH

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 10:37:10 am »
Okay, here is the latest picture of my first bow.  I think I am done with it.  It is 66" ntn, 56lbs. at 24".  I made it from a Rudder BB Ipe Hickory R/D bow kit.  What do you think about the tiller?  Thanks for all of the help!

seantOH

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 12:02:53 pm »
The picture is taken from below the bow, making it a little harder and less clear to judge tiller (at least for me  :)) I like to get square on with the lens at handle level. That said, looks like a little hingy in the fades perhaps but she'll survive I'd say. Nice job with a difficult task! Dave
NW Montana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:34 pm »
OK....I will probably get a bunch of Crap for posting this ....but dont use the Oval as a pattern for perfect D Bow Tiller....that wont work....especially with the unbraced design of the Limbs....use it as a visual guide to see how one limb is bending more than the Other....you can see how the left Limb is Stiffer than the Right.... gives you a guide as to what is really happening.....JMO

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:17:39 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline seantOH

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 10:24:20 am »
Thank you so much for the illustration!  I have a couple of questions which may be dumb but I will ask them anyway :)  When you say the "left limb" ,are you talking about as you look at the bow on the tree or on the left side with the bow to my back?  I have always assumed it was as you look at the bow but the oval shows that the right limb, as you look at the bow, looks stiffer to me.   Am I blind?  How did you superimpose the the oval shape on to my picture?  Where would you remove wood to get the  limb to bend more?

Thanks again!!

seantOH

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:48 pm »
Looks pretty good to me,if it shoots good and you are at the weight and draw you want I would leave it. :) Nice job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline seantOH

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:10 am »
Thanks Pappy!  I am pretty pleased with it for my 1st attempt.  It does shoot because I accidently shot an arrow through the metal siding on my barn over the weekend :o  I gotta figure out which arrows it likes to shoot :)  I have never shot traditional or with finger release so it may take a while to sort out the arrows.  That is part of the fun though.  Take care!!

seantOH