Author Topic: Help me tiller my first bow please!  (Read 7006 times)

Offline seantOH

Help me tiller my first bow please!
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:15:54 am »
Okay, after a lot of reading and searching the web I have my first bow ready to tiller.  It is a tri-lam bamboo ipe hickory r/d 68" long kit bow.  I will try to download some pictures.   I am using a Bowyers edge and a cabinet scraper at this point to remove material slowly.  Please don't be bashful and tell me the truth about how it is looking. 

1st picture is the bow unstrung.  I am using paracord to tiller with, will it work?
2nd picture is the first look and the 3rd is after some work on the right limb.
To me it looks like I need to take material out of the last 3rd of both limbs.

Thanks in advance!!

seantOH

[attachment deleted by admin]

Papa Matt

Re: Help me tiller my first bow please!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:02:50 am »
What are the dimensions on it? Length and width. Right off, it looks like the outer half of each limb need to bend more. But this can be accomplished by narrowing the limbs, or thinning the limbs. That's why dimensions would be helpful.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
 Seant, 
  First shorten the string as much as possible. This will help get a more accurate view. Next be sure the bow is center on the tree and the limbs at the same elevation this will help with the visuals as well.
  R/D profile is one of the harder to learn for starting because it's not a round or consistant oval. You always have to remember the starting profile and try to get the same amount of movement in the whole limb. In the relaxed profile, you will notice the reflex in the outer one third,so in the picture of it bending it should be starting to get straight will the deflexed portion should have bent just slightly more. It looks like you are already moving well on the left limb in the outer 1/3 while the right could use a touch more. But I would not do more to the left outer portion. You will want to get more of the inner part moving. 
  This is going to look like it's bending to much in the middle because it is allready bent in the relaxed position. Hope this all makes sense.  If possible I would make a backdrop behind it and trace the natural profile on the backdrop. Then as you start bending you can see exactly what is moving and what is not.   Keenan

Offline seantOH

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:24:45 am »
Thank you both very much!!  I will get the raw measurements and post them. I believe they are 68" total, 1.25" wide at the fades and tapered to 0.5" at the tips.  Also I will mount the tree to the wall and back with some white poster board so that I can trace lines and trace the outline of the bow.

sean

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:37:16 am »
Hey Sean, does the OH stand for Ohio? If so, what part? I'm in southern Indiana, about an hour and a half from Ohio line. Just wondering.

~~Papa Matt

Offline seantOH

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:40:07 am »
Yes I am from Urbana, OH.   We are between Columbus and Dayton.  I have a sister in Bloomington, IN.

sean

Offline BearG

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:07 pm »
I'm in Cincinnati 8)
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline seantOH

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:37 pm »
The measurements on my bow are 66" nock to nock, 1.25" at widest point, and tapers from the fades to 0.5" tips.

sean

Offline seantOH

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:26:37 am »
Ok, I am back.  I have a new tiller tree, a new backdrop and have removed some wood from the limbs of my bow.  Floor tiller looks better but I am not sure what to do next.  Please give me some direction.  Thanks in advance.

seantOH

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:26 pm »
You picked a tough first tiller project!! Tillering a R/D is tricky. You may want to consider going with some straight profile limbed bow blanks for a bit until you become more cumfy with learning to make the limbs bend evenly. Kinda like taking your drivers exam in a Chevy chevette, and then buying an F1 car to drive on the steet!!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:32:40 pm »

yes, that is a difficult first project!
danger is to get to much set right after the fade outs, i'd say!
outer limbs MUST bend more!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 09:23:41 pm »
I would focus on getting the inner limbs before the reflexed portion bending nice first. Stay away from the fades for a while though. Once you get the inner limbs bending nice then bring the outer limbs around. Thats just my advice. Im sure someone else can tell you better. I have made a few r/d bows but mine start out with a different profile than this one. Looks like a heavy amount of deflex  on that one. Take your time and watch that you keep it stable laterally. This bow might look like its bending too much in the inner limbs when its finished but thats  just the way this bow will be. Good luck :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 09:41:02 pm »
  Like said, stay away from the fades, you've done enough there. Work the area where you have your yellow lines. Not much, scrape a little and then check it. A R/D is not very forgiving if you take off too much wood. When you get those two areas bending evenly, go back about 4" from the handle and scrape from there to the yellow lines till both sides are even. Again, scrape a little and check it on the Tree. At full draw, I like to see both limbs straight.

Right now the limb on the left needs a little more scraping near the yellow line. Again, another warning, Do not remove anymore wood from the fade( where the bow is bending leaving the handle area). You are close to hinging it on the right limb.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:45:05 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seantOH

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 10:50:46 am »
Thank you all for the advice!  I will work on the limbs around the yellow lines and post new pictures later.

seantOH

Offline seantOH

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:42 am »
I think I am making progress :)  The limbs are starting to look more like a bow to me.  I am still using a long string and at 18" it is drawing 42 lbs.  I popped a bamboo splinter last night floor tillering so I used super glue to glue it down.  Should I back that section with silk?  I think I need to reduce the draw weight so that I can get this bow braced.  What do you think?  What do I need to do next?  I am looking for 50 lbs. at 26" draw.  Thanks in advance!!

seantOH