Author Topic: dog training  (Read 7602 times)

Offline recurve shooter

dog training
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »
hi guys. been a while sence i was on. i recently aquired a registered rat terier from a friend. it is about a year and a half old,  very enerjetic and smart. what, if anything, can i train it to run? is it to old to train? and how would i train it? i know this is a verry broad question, but any information is apriciated. thanx guys, happy hunting! 8)
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: dog training
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:41:49 pm »
Most of the terrier types don't have enough nose to trail critters by scent like a hound, but most of them will chase about anything that they can see or smell real strongly. The feists that everyone used to have around here are similar to rat terriers, and they would chase or tree anything from rabbits to bears. Literally. I know a guy that has killed several bears with a little feist that will almost fit in his pocket. He turns it into a thicket where a bear is bedded, and the feist finds the bear and starts yipping and nipping at it. The dog isn't big enough to scare the bear into running, just an annoyance. The bear will get mad and stand there swatting at the lil' dog while the guy sneaks up fropm downwind and shoots it. I have a Jack Russell terrorist, and I don't know how many possums, groundhogs, and coons that he's treed around here. I killed a big boar coon a few nights ago that he had treed near the house.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »
lol. sounds fun. i think i need to kill a critter and show it to her, ya know, to lett her know what im lookin for. she lived inside till i got her, so she's kinda clueless. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:37 pm »
  They make great Bay dogs for bow shooting hogs. Good squirrel dogs ,too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:03:39 pm »
So now it is going to become a tree rat terrorist? Coool. 

Don't underestimate a dog's ability to learn a tasks they were not bred for.  I got a mixed breed from the Humane Society 9 years ago and she is the most versatile hunter I could imagine.  She is at least half sheltie so she is more sight oriented for herding, but she has learned to get her nose down and follow scent when she picks up on pheasant or grouse.  She's no pointer or retriever, but when a bird drops she finds it, lays on it, and picks the breast clean for you.  She has a natural desire to tree squirrels, but what dog doesn't???  Rabbits are a passion for her and all I had to do was to teach her to stay closer to me so we could have a chance at a shot or two. 

Obedience training thru the local Kennel Club was the first step and should almost mandatory.  She learned good manners and I even learned some of it myself.  Basic obedience training helps in the field for recalling a dog, making the dog heel at critical times, and getting her to stay when necessary.   I used the stay command so much with her that I could leave her on a downtown street corner for up to half an hour without her breaking.  That came in handy for a turkey once.  She lay at my side motionless while over 40 hens, jakes, and gobblers milled around us below the roost tree.  Mind you she was vibrating like a cell phone on speed dial!  If you get the basic obediance commands nailed, and I mean firmly nailed, then she will not go far wrong in the field.  The foursquare foundation is Sit, Stay, Come, and Walk at Heel.  That's also the order of importance too. 

I saw a hunting show where a guide had trained his wife's Parson's Jack Russels Terrorist to point, flush, and retrieve woodcock up in New England.  I couldn't believe it, thought it would be easier to train a salmon to play piano!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:03:17 pm »
JW, I had one beagle that would point grouse (I killed several with him) and tree coons, squirrels, and possums by scent like a coonhound. Only beagle I ever had that would tree. He was a good rabbit dog, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »
Another good thing about beagles...chick magnets at the local park.  Ain't but one woman ever made that could resist the charms of a brown-eyed, flop-eared beagle and she was a anti-hunting vegetarian cat lover to boot!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:37 pm »
Yeah, I used to haul a bluetick coonhound around in the truck seat with me when I was a teenager cruising the town-ol' Sue broke the ice with a lot of girls. :) It was funny when I would pull up to the drive-through at Burger King and she would stick her head out the window and let loose that big bluetick bawl into the speaker. ;D She liked double cheeseburgers with no onion....
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:23:31 pm »
 JW, when I got my first Lab, she came from a buddy that had Trials champions in the US and Canada. When he was teaching me to train my dog the one thing he said was the command"Stay" was redundant and gave the dog one more word to learn and try to second guess you. He said the command " sit", meant the same thing. If it was sitting' it was "staying". Labs can learn around 140 words in their vocabulary and the more they understand the more they want to do what they want. Ever had one see you put on Camo's and sneak out the back door and find her sitting in your truck? It's cool, unless you are going Deer hunting.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:37 am »
I know what ya mean about trying to sneak out to hunt without the dog.  Even went so far as to move all the hunting clothes to the garage and wearing my park service uniform out to the garage so she would think I was going to work.  Didn't cut any ice with her, she knew what was going on. 

The fact that they can learn 140 words is amazing, but when you then realize that they also have MASTERED our facial expression, body posture, gestures, intonation and inflection, you will come to understand that dogs know us better than we know ourselves.  There is a fair chance you can pull off a lie to your wife, but your hound will throw down a red b.s. flag on your play before you're half done.  At least the dog will forgive and forget.   O:)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:11 pm »
lol. sounds like yall have some durn good dogs. all mine seems to want to do is bark and run in meaningless circles. ??? anyway, i will deffinently look into the obedience training. i want a beagle, used to keep em when i was a kid and they are the best rabit dogs (arguably of cource as it seems you guys could have a weesel trailing rabits for you, sheesh) that i ever saw. anyway, i heard an old wisetail that if a dog's mouth's roof is black it means they are better hunters. any truth there that yall know of?
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:37 pm »
  I never had a blackmouth dog. Recurve, I really think the key to having a good hunting dog is bonding with your dog. My best dogs, were always wanting to go with me, anywhere. If they couldn't, I didn't yell at them, "no", but said it with authority but not verbally assaulting them. Does that make sense? Not really sure how to explain it.

The smartest hunting dogs I've ever had were Lab's and Australian Shepards. But the reason they were good was they were happy and wanted to hunt and please. After training the last dogs I've had, just  basics manners and  commands,I've just treated them like my hunting buddies. Like I did my ol' Mut when I hunted with him when I was 13.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 10:35:04 am »
yeah mullet, i deffinently see what your saying. i treat mine good, as the whole reason i have her is that my friend had to git rid of her and i didnt want her going to a pound. she loves to ride in the truck, and shows the incentive to hunt, like running around in the woods and sniffing stuff, but i dont think she knows what she is looking for. anyway, im going to the camp today and hopefully i can get some squirls to show her that furry critters are for eatin! i think we can all agree on that. ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:52 pm »
 Have fun and good luck.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:21:15 am »
the best thing i can think of is get a furry wool sock and stuff it with fur of the animal and start palying fetch with it and if he dosen't know how to fetch teach him with a tenis ball. the next thing to do it to walk out there and set it down and walk back and tell him/her to fetch it up. and just keep working on stay and fetch.
once you got that down start to add the bow and arrow into it. so he/she gets the idea that after the bow shoots the arrow that fun will happen. and then it is just about time to take your dog hunting. the only thing else i can say is ALLWAYS PRAISE YOUR DOG FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING!! and something to you HAVE FUN ;D :D