Author Topic: Arkansas  (Read 5251 times)

PeteDavis

Arkansas
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:21:15 am »
home of the peach-colored rocks

PD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:22:45 am »
That's a nice one, Pete. It's a shame that they make that stuff into whetstones, ain't it? :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:00:25 pm »
I thought that looked like novaculite. Nice point Pete!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:05:45 pm »
A very nice point.  Pete you are the knapperman.  Novaculite is my favorite knapping material.  Where do you  get yours?

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:23:45 pm »
I got the white and peach novaculite from Dennis Kerns and Steve Nissly at Flint Ridge this year. But I am sure they both got it from Steve Kearshman)(sp) from Dan's Whetstone. It's great stuff. The purple I made the Susquehanna from came from Craig Ratzat-nice big spalls. PD

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:59:07 pm »
Dan's is where I get mine.  You gotta get some of his black or black and gray.  Unbelievable beauty.  I find novaculite easy to knap .  It is really easy to get good long flakes with novaculite.

PeteDavis

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
gonna make more today
got to get some black

PD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:57:25 am »
them are some really nice Points Pete....I am partial to Novaculite too....Cowboy made Me an Awesome Blade from some White Novaculite last year...I would die for a Black one too!! Once again...great work........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline xin

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 12:31:09 pm »
Nice work!!!!!!  You'll flip out over the black and gray combo.

jamie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »
awesome work

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 12:12:08 am »
Really nice.  I got some of the black and gray stuff.  I screwed up the first one.  Now I'm a little intimidated but I need to get after the next.  I've got a point for the swap to get done and a couple for Okie1. Not to mention a few for me too.   ::)

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
I've actually never worked any novaculite, but I'd like to get hold of some of that black/white cosmic novac. I've seen some killer points made from it. dan's whetstone, huh?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:47 am »
I bought mine at Missouri trading company. She sells here pink and black novaculite for a higher price, the white with black streaks is the cheap stuff but still not cheap :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 01:00:20 pm »
Aside from it's beauty, the blackand gray, black and white, are a much higher quality of chert and work much more easily,  It is probably much easier than Flintridge or Burlington, which are awfully easy.  As soon as I can relax a little over the recent economic meltdown, I'm going to gather up a few sheckles and buy some black and white and black and gray.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »
Oh, your really knockin em out Pete! Those are some beauties and the symmetry is just about perfect :).