Author Topic: chassing the ring  (Read 3001 times)

devilfishsix

chassing the ring
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:21:15 pm »
hi i am going to find my self a large 5" wide 70"plus long stave (log) and i hope to make a good bow can some one please tel me the importance and the meaning of chassing the ring? iv read alot of posts that feature it i just havnt got my head around what it all means. im needing your help again lol ty

Offline DanaM

Re: chassing the ring
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »
First what wood is it? Generally when we talk about chasing a ring its on osage or black locust. On certain woods you remove all the sap wood and take the heart wood down to one growth ring all along the back. With white woods like hickory, maple , elm etc just remove the bark and thats the back of the bow and you have one continous ring.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

devilfishsix

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:27:37 pm »
oh thats cool then as i plan on using european haxel or chestnut as there is trees everywhere here with long straight poles on them

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »
The only problem is you have to cut it during the growing season for the bark to peel off easily.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:57:22 am »
I believe those are considered white woods so peel the bark and thats yer back.
Bark can be removed even when its stuck fast just takes more patenience ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline shamus

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:53:14 am »

devilfishsix

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:55:44 pm »
thanks guys very helpful loved the linkim learning so much each day

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:25 am »
Like Pat said, this time of year the sap is down in the tree and the bark will be difficult to remove. Might wait until May/June timeframe to cut the tree's...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...