Author Topic: Hornbeam Questioin  (Read 8625 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Hornbeam Questioin
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »
That stuff is way to straight to make a bow better send it to me ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 06:38:18 am »
Looks like HHB to me,just peal the bark and work it like Hickory,It is great wood,much better
than Hickory,nothing wrong with Hickory but I like HHB much better.  :) The bark will peal
off much easier than Hickory from what I have seen,green or dry. :) Just take your time
to not damage the back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 08:50:35 am »
That's HHB...I've made a couple of bows from it, and am using one of them this season hunting. Pappy is also using his hhb that he recently made. Treat them like hickory, make sure the wood is good and dry before working and sealing it! It has a good looking grain, especially at the fades where the grain feathers into the belly.  ;) It will respond some to dry heat if you need to straighten it, but not as well as osage.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Key

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:29 pm »
Thanks everyone. I won't start a bow now until the end of Nov. or so. Too many hours spend hunting right now.
Roger

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:13 am »
Try to get the bark off those and seal the backs as soon as you can-I lost a good HHB stave to bugs a while back from leaving the bark on too long. Borers don't seem to bother debarked staves.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:27:52 am »
I'm with DanaM those are entirely too straight to give you a challenge,Send em to me I'm a much bigger charity case.Lol     I've got an 55# HHB flatbow due any day now from Marc St.Louis. Wish I had some around here, I would be all over it like a chicken on a june bug. How long do you have to cure it before you can start working it?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God