Author Topic: Osage worm holes  (Read 6544 times)

Papa Matt

Osage worm holes
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »
Ok, all you Osage masters, I need your help.

I recently acquired some osage that had blown down in the windstorm when it came through Columbus, Indiana as a result of the hurricane. As I was splitting, debarking and sealing my osage the other day I noticed there were some grubbs that had bored holes into the backs of some of my staves, so I left the staves plenty wide, some up to 5 inches across, in order to be able to cut the worm holes out and snake around them. Is this possible? I know I have to chase a ring on the back, and not cut into it as far as depth, but now what about side to side, is it ok to take a chunk out of my stave for having to cut around a worm hole. These holes were big and deep, a couple of them are 3/8" wide by 1.5" deep. I actually cut one of the grubs into with my draw knife and his blood squirted out and stained the back of the stave where he was sitting. If I can get to a ring under the hole, that's fine of course, but if the hole is too deep and I can't take a ring down that far, can I cut it out? Other than these holes, it's beautful. Thanks for whatever advice you may be able to give!

~~Papa Matt

Bowbound

Re: Osage worm holes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:47:34 pm »
I don't think you'll be able to snake around them because that may be too much grain violation but i have never worked with osage. I do know that pics would be useful then hopefully some guys with osage experience will drop in.

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:49:16 pm »
I know, I wish I could post pics. I just don't have that capability yet.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:59 pm »
Dont think it will work unless you have very straight grain. But perhaps a backing would make it safe.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:35:59 pm »
Matt, You will probably have to go below the damage. The problem with the grubs is they don't go straight down into the wood but snake through out. Remove the bark and sapwood, split the staves out and pour alcohol or acetone into the grub holes to kill them. Be sure to seal the back and ends to prevent checking. You will just have to give it your best shot and see if you have any good bow wood left. Remember, it doesn't take much osage to make a decent bow.  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:40:35 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, but wanted some other opinions. Since I just cut it and put it away to dry this weekend, it will be at least a few months before I get to messing with it again. I sealed the back and ends.

Thanks again,

Papa Matt

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:01:46 pm »
I've got plenty of staves like that too Matt. I'm just waiting to get around to working them. Some of the staves are character side to side, so maybe I can get around some holes that way or else I'll try to chase a ring down past them. I would'nt think you could get away with violating the lateral grain very much as already said.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

salad days

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:02:36 pm »
I also got ahold of an osage stave that was full of grub holes. They were about the size of an ash borer hole. I stuck a pipe cleaner in a couple of them to see how deep they went. Some of them took almost a whole pipe cleaner before popping back out somewhere else. I removed all the sapwood but the bugs had gone deep into the heartwood. Thw worst part of it was I paid 50 bucks for the stave and the bark on it looked untouched. Live and learn.

Offline Mattco

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »
I've made a couple osage bows with grub holes in them - I just made them slightly wider at the hole and dripped super glue inside the hole

Papa Matt

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 02:30:36 pm »
Interesting ideas, fellers. I believe I will go to the furthest ring down that I can and then if the hole still exists, do like Mattco said and fill it and leave it slightly wider and maybe wrap it with sinew. Thanks for all the input.

October, man that's foul. Especially to have paid good money for it. Did you do anything with them or just toss and burn? The bark on these wasn't in too good of shape, in fact it was like that of a dead tree. Some even had moss growing on it like a fallen log. But that heartwood is still good-except for the grubs. It's nice and hard, excellent color, still feels moist, every characteristic of good heartwood. That's why I was looking for advice, cause I would really hate to junk one of these staves out, just because of a wormhole.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
You could cut them short and make billets from them, if the holes work out that way. Like Pat B said, it don't take much Osage to make a bow.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline richpierce

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:29:12 pm »
If you have to keep the holes, fill them with glue and packed sawdust, PACKED IN.  If the hole remains, the wood surrounding the hole wants to split and crack and collapse into the hole.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »
I made my huntting bow out of osage billets, that had grub damage just took them down past the damaged wood.Made a plains style bow.45 pound at 26 inch the limbs are 1/2to 5/8 thick and the handle area is about 3/4 like it was stated earlier it does'nt take much Osage.
          Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline possum

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:15:30 pm »
Looking on the bright side, bugs don't usually like the heartwood.  You could probably go down into heartwood, hopefully maybe just a ring or two.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:00:58 am »
I have done several like that,I try and go below the damage but some times they are to deep.
I will fill them with sawdust and super glue and the back with rawhide and haven't had any
problems. Not sure if you don't back them.They are not like a knot hole ,where the grain grows through them,they are like a drill hole and I feel sure if they are in the working area of the limb they would splinter up if not backed or at least rapped.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good