Author Topic: Chasin osage rings  (Read 2726 times)

Offline bigcountry

Chasin osage rings
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:31:08 pm »
I have been chasing a ring on a osage stave.  I have been real careful with this stave as its tight ringed on one end and not on the other.  Figured it was part of a limb.  Anyway, do you guys go after a particular ring all at once or one ring at a time?  Or it depends?

I have only done this twice.  So sure no expert.  But I have been (up until now) taking off several rings down to the one ring above the one I want.  I then carefully remove the last ring.

Just wanting an opinion or two.
Westminster, MD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Chasin osage rings
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »
It's probably better to go slow and carefully, taking it down a ring at a time. With that said, I usually take a hammer and chisel to the end of the stave right above the target ring to get it started, then attack it with a draw knife and peel off bark, sapwood, and the whole pile of rings at once. I pry under the wood and rip pieces two feet long off if I can as I go down the stave. I do occasionally gouge the target ring around a knot or something, if so, then I just take it down to the next one. Beats spending hours chasing a ring.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:06 pm »
I hate chasing rings...that's my opinion. ;D

Seriously,  I do what you guys do:  take off a bunch of rings at first and then carefully remove the last ring.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:26:48 pm »
I hate chasing rings...that's my opinion. ;D

Seriously,  I do what you guys do:  take off a bunch of rings at first and then carefully remove the last ring.

Honestly, I find it theroputic.  Tillering can be agravating.  Sanding and finishing, tedious.  I love shooting.  But when I am in a bad way, I go out to my garage, and start draw knifing, I feel much better.
Westminster, MD

Offline possum

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:42:14 pm »
I love chasing rings.  Besides, when you're new at it it helps to go one at a time to get used to it so when you get down to the one you want you have more practice.

Having said all that... I did have one stave crying and begging to be a bow so I went as fast as I could to the ring above where I wanted then took my time to get down to my chosen ring.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »
You know that feeling you get the day before payday....when you've worked your butt off all week (or two) and you got no money to buy lunch?  That's me chasing a ring. :P
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:19:13 pm »
I was once an extremely unpatient person... until I started chasin' rings on tight Osage. I love doing it... it is a challenge and an addiction. It has taught me more about patience than anything else in my life. Sometimes I just sit in my chair in the shop and stare at my stave. I keep saying "you're not going to beat me...I'll be back" then just walk away. Before bow building I would have stuck it through the wall of my shop! >:D Go slow and be patient, that is the key.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Bowbound

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:33:06 pm »
Normally i find the first suitable ring then quickly take it down to the ring or two outside that then i work starting right at one of the tips in towards the middle then from the middle to the other tip. It took me a while to get it right but i enjoy it now. It takes patience though... Lots of patience. :-X ;)