Author Topic: Thin rings on black locust.  (Read 3321 times)

Cool-Aid

Thin rings on black locust.
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:02:21 am »
This is my first post on p-a but i have been reading old how to's and articles. I have made 3 bows from red oak boards only 1 shooter and have some black locust drying right now. My question is about the locust, it has relatively small growth rings compared to the pictures in the bowhunters bible books, will this cause the bow to take extra set and would a backing of silk or rawhide help hold the bow together? I plan on starting with a d-bow and then one with a narrow handle section. I have a 30" draw and i have had excessive set 4-5" with the boards i think thats because i cut them to short how long should i make my bows?
Dylan

Offline snedeker

Re: Thin rings on black locust.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:21:47 am »
I have a great bow from thin ringed BL   Fabric backing would have no bearing on that issue, needed only if you have a ring violation on teh back

Dave

tommy6

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:00:59 pm »
Cant you leave sapwood on locust?

Cool-Aid

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:41:52 pm »
I don't think so, it's weaker than the heart wood.
Anyone know of books that explain horn and antler bows?

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:38 pm »
I've had thin-ringed BL bows that didn't have any problems at all. Just tiller them good, and be sure not to cut into the back ring at all, otherwise you WILL have to back it with something.

~~Papa Matt

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:30:41 pm »
If you have enough heartwood then remove the sapwood. If you don't then remove as much as you can. The closer you get to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Cool-Aid

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:47 pm »
What about the length of the bows? Also anyone know of any good books on horn/antler bows.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:52:32 pm »
I want to know the anser to your question as well so I am bouncing you to the top again.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »
If you are going to have about an 8 inch non bending handle then go 72 inches nock to nock. If you are going to make a bend in the handle bow then you can go shorter. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:01:16 pm »
Yeah I would think that with a long draw like 30" the longer the length the better. I bet with a 30" draw on a 72" bow it ought to shoot mighty sweet and properly done have great cast. The longer length might help minimize the crysaling on the belly that a shorter BL might be prone to as well.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God