Author Topic: Goncalo alves boards  (Read 4672 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Goncalo alves boards
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »
I have a chance to buy some goncalo alves boards (1 x 6, 8 ft long) at a pretty reasonable price.  The seller is getting rid of them because they do not have the "tigerwood" striping he wants.  Grain appears to be quite straight and no knots.  They meet the criteria I would use on hickory board bows, but I have no experience with g.a. 

1) Does goncalo alves work for board bows?  Would it require backing; and if so, would tight woven linen backing suffice?
2) Is g.a good for flat bows?  How about ELB styles?
3) Betting it would look hot with bamboo backing, anyone got any to trade?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline snedeker

Re: Goncalo alves boards
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:22:07 am »
I bought a 1/8 piece for handle laminations, etc.  I haven't seen or heard of a bow made from it but it should be tried.  I see on the wood wood sources that it is considered a high density wood with high bending strength -- a good sign.  It's s.g. is listed at widely variying levels from .75-.97.   From working a little with the piece I had my educated guess would be in the low .8s.  It is pretty oily.  The safe route would to make one with hickory backing at first.  I'd be glad to chat about a possible trade if you would like to message me.

Dave

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:33:11 am »
Goncalo alves is listed as a bow wood in at least one large lumber retailer website.  The only bows I've seen made out of the wood have been laminated bows with Goncalo alves as a core wood.

If it's cheap, just buy a piece, cut out a sample, bend it, and then break it.  If it seams like a strong wood, make a bow from it without backing.  If you add the backing in the beginning, you will learn nothing about the suitability of the wood for self bows.  If you don't want to make self bows...then laminate to your heart's content. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:23:52 pm »
Hoorah, jackcrafty!  You have brought me to my senses...which my normal state is pretty senseless.  Your voice of reason rings like a clarion bell!  Buy it, build it, break it, start over.  Sheesh, what was I thinking.  You talked me into it.   But that doesn't mean I still don't want to hear other people's input in the meanwhile....keep the comments coming.

And snedeker...yeah, this stuff is oily and heavy! Looks like osage that has been darkened in the sun, then dipped in Cosmoline!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:47:18 pm »
I've only made two hickory backed bows from it and am VERY pleased with the results. I pre tillered it to about 8'' bend then perry reflexed it into1 1/2'' reflex. After final tillering reflex was at 3''! Blah blah time went on and the hickory backing cracked enough that it would never shoot again. So I fixed the crack, strung it up and it's been sitting strung on my wall for almost two years. I took it down and unstrung it for the first time since and it still has 2 1/2'' reflex!!! I don't know if it is the perry reflex or the wood but if I had used a better piece of hickory, it would still be a great shooter even after all this time. 1'' wide till mid limb down to 1/4'' tie on nocks.

tommy6

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:02:52 pm »
Hey Benlamin; What glue did you use? I have heard that some glues will not hold with it.