Author Topic: finished new 1st bow...  (Read 6368 times)

Shooter_G22

finished new 1st bow...
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:29:33 pm »
ok people i finished one...

i cheated and i tweeked this and that and dont know how long its going to last but i'm done with it...   sooo done with it that i gave it away... lol...

this bow ive been working on everyday for  little over a week.. is out of here...lol... 

the first problem i had with it is that i backed it with some cheat cloth and then a 1/8" pecan backing... the main board is also pecan and so is the additional handle materail... i used a marine epoxy resin as my glue and then after i fininished the tillering i felt it a little light but i was getting a full 28" draw out of a 58" bow the limbs were 2" wide and went down to about maybe a little under 3/4"   how ever the pecan backing craked and splinterd up about mid way of the top limb..

sooo upset and being hard headed i glued the raised splintered backing back down and clamped it and the next day i sanded the backing down to bout 1/16 or less and then rasped it to give it a better grip and glued another pecan backking over the ther backing ..lol.. oh i also put another cheat cloth in between the two backings and then clamped it down for another day and then i reshaped the new backing and strung it up and then the tillering was terrible and i had to re tiller it... so i re tillered it and then shot it for hundred time and then 3 shot away from the hundred the new backing craked agian in a differant spot.. so this crak wasnt soo bad soo i reglued it back down and clamped and then the next day i shot it out and its was good soo i fine sanded and linseed oil rubed it constant bare hand and soaked oil rub for about 30 minute while i wathed tv. let it dry a couple of hours and the started to laquer coat it i wasted a whole spray can of laquer on it dont know how many caots but it was a bunch load anyway that was last night and then today i took it to cabela's to get it a string cuase i dont know how to make one and bought it a (hunters niche) fast flite 20 strands bow string   cost me $22 + tax  and then procedded to go to bass pro shop to get a set of beaver balls...  and i had them in my hand and i was going to buy them when i went to the restroom and then ran into the department where they make fly rigs for fly fishing and then i went in that little area cause i saw all kinds of furs and feathers and decided to go with some rabbit fur strands to use as silencers becuase they were $8 cheaper and the were black and i had used black italian leather for the handle becuase i had and old black italian lether jacket at my parents old storage garage from along time ago that had got maybe some batery acid or rats hole in the collar so the jacket was ruined but not the majority of the leather... the leacher is perfect for handles and small leather projects  ;D  ...

so thats how i finished the bow... i will have to ask my cousin to take picture of it later becuase i gave it to him for his birthday...

the bow was for him origanally,  and now i need to still make two more for my other cousins soo we can all go hunting...

oh by the way i had the bow smiths at cabela's scale it and it came out to 47# @ 27"  i think i will name it splinter its a 58" total length

but i havnt signed it yet dont know how???

need somebody to explain how i need to do that...    but i gave it to my cousin already.. and he and all my other cousin were in awe...   and were like WOW!!! 

now everybody wants one...lol...

what have i done!   i shouldnt have giving it to him at a family get togather..
lol..

oh well i just hope it last for him i know i had a lot of problems with it...

i know he probaly wont shoot it alot and i think if it holds up for him while he practices and gets good with it i dont think he will even shoot it this season on a hunt... just a little to practice befor we go out hunting and  he might go hunting with once or trwice this sesaon and even on the hunt he probably wont shoot it...  he like to wake up late and make alot of noise going out to where ever we place him to hunt soo he probably wont get within range of anything to shoot...lol.. but at least he has a bow to go out there with us...lol... and he really love the damn thing cause his cousin made it for him and was rubbing it in to all the rest of the family..lol..
how has one and they dont...lol..

but know i have to make a bunch more... but oh well at least this will give me the practice and experaince that i want and need...  ;D ;D ;D  i might make a bunch befor i make on for myself sooo when i do make my own i will be better at it... at least that is the idea.. the same thing happened when i forged a rail road spike into a hunting/skinner and used a deer antler for the handle and forged it for my ncle it was his anlter from his buck soo i made him an antler handle kinfe... and then every body in the family wanted on and then i went of forging for a while and now i havent forged anything in a copule of yrs and still dont have one for myself that i have forged...lol...
but i have a nice muela and my K-Bar.

anyways has anybody ever had a backing crack and then glue it down and coat it with a buch of laquear as a fix up???

will this work or did i giva away a lemon???

oh by the way  i think the thing is shooting slow... 58" total legnth it is 47# @ 27"  but for some reason i think it should be a little faster or maybe im just used to shooting my 55# bear 48"magnum recurve...  it also took alot of set about a 3" set  and i feel like the wood is still a little damp with moister but i laquar coated the whole thing alot... will it dry out latter with time and become stonger???   i never heated the thing at all but i will invest in a heat  gun and maybe try and build a hot box in the futer???

i will try and and get a picture up...
later...

but now im going to have to start the next one.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: finished new 1st bow...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »
Looking forward to the next one. Keep us posted.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »
Anybody that can type up that many words can make a bow.  Like Pat says "keep us posted"
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:29:48 pm »
lol , oldbow....   i can type up a description but for the life of me my damn computer machine wont let me post up any pics.... 

her let me try agian...

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:32:14 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand words.  Take two....... ;D.

Cool.  I've still got to finish my first.  About ready to put on the tree. 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 11:33:04 pm »
here is anotehr attempt to post a pic...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 11:44:46 pm »
i think i can only post one at a time so i'll post them that way ok.. bear with me...

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:49:05 pm »
here is one of the first crack that i reglued back down and sanded down to put anothere backing over it..

Shooter_G22

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:51:42 pm »
a close up..

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:46 pm »
You got more patients than me,I would have cooked Brats with it,just goes to show what you can do sometime if you try.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Ranger B

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 05:23:19 pm »
Wow, that is some repair work.  Congrats.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »
I probably would have used it for kindling too, she looks slick now though.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 12:39:38 am »
ok gents, i know this is an old thread but i promissed i would post picks of this bow in the finished product when i could get some of it from my cousin becuase after i finished it i gave it to him for his birthday well we went out to the lease today and i was able to get him to take a few pics with it so i will post them like i said i would...

Shooter_G22

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:41:44 am »
pic

Shooter_G22

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 12:42:51 am »
pic