Author Topic: Back to square 1  (Read 3710 times)

Primitive Kid

Back to square 1
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:16:15 pm »
I was working on a Red oak and bamboo bow but when I in was the tillering stage and it snapped right at the handle. So i am going to try again mabey Osage and bamboo any tips?

Primitive Kid

Re: Back to square 1
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »
Broke my first one.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »
My first 3 broke,  one at full draw, which caused atleast one grey hair.  One while stringing it,  and one while tillering over the knee.

I'd say you're right where you should be.

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:13:35 pm »
Osage would be a better choice with a boo back. Did you cut out a shelf on your bow?  I leave the handle area and the last 6" of the tips alone until the bow is tillered. That way you can make side to side adjustments  plus it gives you a place to clamp the bow while working. Instead of a shelf you can narrow the handle area and add an arrow shelf with leather, wood or antler and get the same effect but keep the integrity of the handle area. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Bowbound

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:43:28 pm »
well at least it gives you an excuse to start another one.   ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:54:15 pm »
Excused are simply not requred, Limey-Josh :)

Everyone breaks bows learning, and then after that too. Think of them as lessons, even if they make you feel aweful. You'll be a much better bowyer for the mistakes you make, rather than the successes. Life is like that, too.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline markinengland

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:22:25 pm »
I broke my bow today. Still, I shot it most weekend for over two years. Bows break. It happens to every wooden bow eventually I think. the aim is to get them breaking as late as you can!
There may well be a lighter wood to back red oak with that would actually give a better bow than boo/redoak. Maybe elm or ash? Boo could be in danger of over powering the red oak maybe? One of the nicest broken bows I ever saw was red oak! Why not try hickory or boo backed boo?
How much force was being applied during this tillering when it spapped? Any idea which bit gave way first? You can learn a lot from a good bow autopsy!
Mark in England

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
Sorry about your failure Primitive. Like Dane said though its how we get better. If it did'nt bother us so much we would'nt learn, so its not really a bad thing so long as you benefit in knowledge. Here you thought you were gonna get a bow out of it that will only last a few years and instead you end up with knowledge and expeience that will last a life time. Not a bad way of looking at it if you ask me.  I haven't done any laminations but from what I read it would take a pretty thin boo backing to keep it from overpowering the red oak. I like the boo osage idea it should be a good match.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:52 pm »
Thin and narrow. Trap the boo so that it is narrower than the belly wood. That is the lesson I learned from one of Manny's bows and again the bowyers bible volume 4. Once I use up this tigerwood and the last piece of ipe I have I am gonna give her a go for a friends bow.

Primitive Kid

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:42:05 pm »
ok heres the pic's  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »
Today my son became a bowyer , and broke his first one ,but last night had a real nice eight pointer come up close to his stand.
                                Dad/Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:21:24 am »
I guess we all break 'em once in a while.  That is the nature of wood.....and spare time activities......sort of like hooking a really big fish and then breaking the line.   **it happens.   

But, there is hope.  You can use the long piece and make a primitive wood turning lathe.  Heck, maybe even a dowel maker! 

Visit this site, lots of others showing modern adaptations of the spring pole lathe on google: 
http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/springpole.html

piper

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:37:54 am »
If this is your first keep it simple.  Make  a simple bow with a backing like silk, linen or burlap. Forget the cut in shelves. There's lots of simple on my site. Simple is all I've ever done. It has taken me close to 20 years to learn simple. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!