Author Topic: Opening day in da UP eh  (Read 4708 times)

Offline DanaM

Opening day in da UP eh
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:47:25 am »
Well yesterday was the start of bow season here. Had to work but got out after work. When I hit the woods
it was a balmy 43 deg with 20 mph wind with intermittent rain squalls. Tried to sit in my ladder stand but I was getting motion sick from the tree swaying.
Plan B I have little pop up blind I nestled in a clump of spruce near a red oak dropping acorns so off I went to that spot. Was sitting about an hour when a little spike comes bouncing in at 5 yards :) I decided not to shoot hoping the 6 pointer I had seen a few days earlier would show up. It was fun watching him and I practiced drawing on him 3 or 4 times. So now its almost dark and he wouldn't leave but I was ready to go, I tried whistling at him nope wouldn't leave, then I blew same results, so I tried throwing cones at him nope kept eating acorns finally I started clapping my hands and he got the idea and ambled off didn't run or flag just slowly walked away, I think the only reason he left is that he was full ::) All in all a good evening in the woods. :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Opening day in da UP eh
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:13:18 am »
Sounds like fun Dana. Do you have antler restriction's there? I'm thinking that spike would have been some fine table fare ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:10:22 pm »
Sounds like a good start! Hope it gets better.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:38:12 pm »
Good start for the season. Hopefully the 6pter will show up for you next time.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 12:54:18 pm »
Sounds like a great day,you have more patients than me,You know what they say about a bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush.Good luck on the 6. :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:37:36 pm »
Michigan has some messed up game laws, This year on the combination license in the UP only your first tag is good for a deer with 3 points on one side and bigger, your second tag is good for a buck with4 points or more on one side but during archery either is good for an anterless deer which includes spike bucks with antlers less than 3".
But if you buy a seperate archery and firearm tag you can shoot any buck. So who's confused yet ::) But yes the spike I had in was illegal because I bought a combination liicenseand his antlers were barely over 3". But to be honest they got my money and next time he may just meet his end. :-X Last year I saw 2 deer in 6 weeks of hunting
so I guess I'm already having a better year :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:11:49 pm »
If the spike were legal, I'd have had to fling an arrow his direction. Good luck with the 6-point showing up...sounds like those acorns are worth hunting some more. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 02:40:33 pm »
Those antlers looked 2 1/2" inches to me from where I was at Mr Game Warden.  You could have just taken a hatchet and chopped them down to 3".   >:D >:D >:D >:D.  I have shot a few spiked and button heads and tagged them as does, because at the time, with low light and position of the ears, I thought they were does.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »
That thought crossed my mind madcrow ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 07:53:15 pm »
Go getem Dana.   Hope I am half as fortunate.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:15 pm »
I know you will get one brother, no matter the size of the antlers.. when the perfect opportunity comes, your arrows will fly true... look forward to the pics of your success.keep your chin to the wind ...HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:56 pm »
sounds like a good hunt sir nice and chilly...just as itll be for us...isnt it funny that sometimes the deer you wanna try and get away from dont give a darn but the deer you wanna shoot ARE GONE IN A  FLASH?  ;D
Modern Day Tramp