Author Topic: Bees Wax Finish  (Read 3780 times)

Offline robbsbass

Bees Wax Finish
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:56:54 am »
Their seems to be alot of discussion on finishes to waterproof and moisture proof your bow. I'm just curious if anyone has tried beeswax as a finish. I used to have to use it on antique furniture once in awhile as a finish. I finished a dining room table for my daughter, 15years ago, and it still repells water. your input is always appreciated.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Papa Matt

Re: Bees Wax Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »
Man it's anybody's guess! I'm the one that started the thread on True Oil, because it seems like awesome stuff to me, but a few brothers don't care for it. I do know for a fact though that beeswax is used as a finish, often mixed with other things, but frequently used. We'll see what the other brothers say. I personally have only used 2 things--tallow/beeswax mixture, and True Oil. I tried the True Oil because it provides a harder, shinier finish to also protect from scratches. And I thought since it's sooooooooooooo hard to get off my hands, that it was 1,000% waterproof, but a lot of brothers say it ain't. So I'm kind of lost as to how it cannot be, if when I get some on my hands, it's a devil to wash off and stays on for days/weeks. I aint found anything yet to take it off. Alcohol won't touch it. Sope and water repeatedly won't touch it.

Ain't nothin wrong with good ol beeswax though, I know that much. All natural.   :)

~~Papa Matt

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:49 pm »
I've used bees wax over wipe ons with great success. I rub it on like a crayon, and then melt it in with friction.

Offline wally

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:11:44 pm »
I've tried beeswax finish on my bows and it works out fine, but I found an easier way, maybe not correct, but, they sell here in England a beeswax balsam furniture polish. It smells great, mostly beeswax but much softer and real cheap-a pot costs about £2 about $3.50 I think. You rub it on then immediately buff it up. Put as many coats as you like on. Finish is good, smells good, and is water resistant - just keep putting it on.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:33 pm »
  Papa Matt, Trueoil will come off with acetone or your wife's fingernail polish remover.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:20 pm »
I mix Beeswax and Tallow....you can use Lard.....and rub it in good and hard to create Heat....or just rub it on and use the Wife's Hair Dryer to sweat it in....just like I do my Hunting Boots when I weatherproof them with Bear Grease....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:09:06 am »
Thanks for the info, Mullet  :)

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 12:39:31 pm »
If you want to use an oil that won't go rancid: mix your beeswax with some mineral oil.

Offline shamus

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:18 am »
*bump*  ;)

RexxyNOB17

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
Beeswax wood finishes are both durable and relatively easy to apply. Store-bought beeswax finishes generally come in a paste wax form. Homemade finishes are more like the consistency of honey.