Author Topic: Boo backed hickery, Newbie getting nervous  (Read 9498 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Boo backed hickery, Newbie getting nervous
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:56 am »
I almost always have one limb come right in and one that will give me trouble,just take it
slow on the right limb ,little by little and it will come around.It is easy to get frustrated and take to much off.Don't do it.It will come in if you just stay at it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:47 am »
Listen to Pappy-I've flip-flopped more bows into 30-pounders than I want to remember by taking too much at once off the stiff limb, suddenly turning it into the weak limb. I think exercising it after you take wood off helps to avoid this too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

corbeau75

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 12:33:27 pm »
"softly softly catchy money" I am working as slowly as I can! LOL

New question.

I have been unstring the bow to do the scraping. It seems to me sort of like cutting a rope with a load on it, you know? does it make any differance or is it just me imagination?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »
I know people that don't.And sometimes I will leave it strung if I just want a little ,I mean little tweak but I usually unstring while scraping.Don't know that it makes any difference but I unstring anyway. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

corbeau75

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 03:08:39 pm »
This spot is giving me a hard time, the scraper wants to stick and chatter over it.

I have been trying to be very smooth an even over this spot and hold my scraper at a bit of an angle. Any other tips?

The bow is now 60# at 20" and I thing the limbs are looking pretty good.

Thank guys for the advice.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 06:59:52 am »
Still looks a little flat from8/10 inches out from the fad to 6/8 inches from the tip.On the right limb.
When ever they chatter I reverse the scraper and move it in the other direction will usually smooth it out.If it don't i use a very fine file and smooth the area and then scrap.Once they start chattering
sometimes it hard to get it to stop and if you just keep doing what you are doing it will usually get worse,so I try and stop it as early as I can.Looking very good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wally

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39:00 am »
I've found if a scraper chatters it is almost impossible to remove. Easiest way I think is to use fairly fine sandpaper wrapped around a bit of wood about 6" of 2"X1". From this stage in I sometimes just use sandpaper, but that's me. Don't rush it now. I was trying to make a 65lb Meare Heath, took a bit off this side, bit off that-bow ended up good but I scaped that beauty down to 30lb bow! Yours is coming on. Follow what Pappy said about where it's flat and savour the experience of making a bow. You'll be shooting it soon enough.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

corbeau75

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 05:25:52 pm »
Hey guys, did some more scraping and I think the curves are improving. What do you think?

My new guy question this time is, I've done the scrap, flex, check procedure about 7 or 8 time since the last photo, and the curve seems to be coming right along, but I am still 60# at 20.5". The draw length/weight does not seem to be moving back towards 28". Why?

Thanks as always!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 08:46:41 pm »
just keep going real slow and rechecking it frequently,you want to sneak up in it or next thing you know you will be under what you want.
a little wood removal can all of a suddenly meani big differance in weight and length.
patience  patience   patience     ;)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline wally

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
That tiller's looking really good. Just scape off evenly now, and she'll come down. You've got more to come off yet. test regularly.
I can't stand the tension and am dying to see this bow go. I've got a good feeling about this one corbeau75, and when you finally give birth to it, it's gonna be a beaut
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:26 am »
This is a wonderful thread to those of us who have not mad many bows. I am waitin on my wood to dry, I can hardly wait until December!

Watching the tiller take shape is thrilling to me, because I will be doing it in no time! You guys are helping me as much as the guy makin the bow!

Good luck, and wish me luck.  ;)

corbeau75

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 02:48:57 am »
I really do appreciate all your help and encouragement!

I am down to 22" at 60# and I think the curve is coming on. I am basically just taking long even sweeps with the scraper to bring the 60# to 28".

Thanks again!

corbeau75

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:19 am »
BTW the left limb is looking stiff still. Weird the way a photo can show up things you didn't see standing there.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 10:33:53 am »
Now it is time to get out the belt sander with 60 grit, a hatchet, and a bandsaw!!!  Oh yeah, forgot, softly softly catchey monkey.

This bow is gonna come in sweet, Corbeau.  You're gonna have a find shooter on your hands very soon.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

corbeau75

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 01:49:50 am »
Well fellas, It's a bow!! 28" and 60 pounds. I am very happy as this time I felt as though I was in some control over this process. I ended up with what I though was lot of set. Could someone explain what I could have done to minimize the set on the next one??

I will post a few pics of the bow with fit and finish, once I'm done there!!