Author Topic: GOOD BOW WOOD?  (Read 2898 times)

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
GOOD BOW WOOD?
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:11:38 pm »
I HAVE JUST RECENTLY BEEN BLESSED WITH SOME OAK WOOD THANKS TO HURRICANE IKE. I DONT KNOW THE TRUE NAME OF THE OAK, BUT I HAVE HEARD IT CALLED WATER OAK. IS THIS A GOOD BOW WOOD OR JUST GOOD FIREWOOD? THANKS FOR THE HELP
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: GOOD BOW WOOD?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:46 pm »
                                                 Ricochet....quit screaming at people!!!!!!!   ;D

Thats what Caps mean!!!

As for the Wood.....is it for sure Waterr Oak???  It's also called Possum oak or Spotted oak....... I beleive that it would make a good Bow....it is a faster growing Tree than any other Oak though....so it wont be as strong as say White Oak or probably even Red Oak...The Water Oak has been used as a source of timber and fuel by people in the southern states since the 1600's
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: GOOD BOW WOOD?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:45:31 pm »
I'd say give it a try. Collect a few staves and make firewood from the rest. ;D  I've never used water oak but I am familiar with it. Like Mike said it is a short lived oak and has the tendency to have hollow centers in the big trees. Make your bow long(at least 68") and wide(about 2" out at least half of each limb) and you should be OK.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC