Author Topic: boo/hick r/d  (Read 7663 times)

Offline sailordad

boo/hick r/d
« on: September 27, 2008, 12:46:35 pm »
ok so i got back to woring on my bow for hunting(hopefully)

never attempted a reflex deflex style bow before. its been glued up since the 4th of july,cut the profile 3 weeks later and its been sitting ever since.
well i got back to scraping on it and got it to brace,however it looks off and im in need of some advise before i go any further.
so i ask of all of you that have made r/d bows for some advise,
where should i work to even out the limbs?
not sure if you can see them but i have marks on the side of the limbs every six inches,please use for reference when giving advise
thanks all very much

oh yeah i forgot to mention that bow season started hered on 9/13. i havent been in the woods asof yet because i dont want to carry that heavy,noisy wheel bow this year.
im not going hunting untill i have this bow finished, so pleeeeaaaaaaase help me. ;)

peace,
                                                                                                     tim
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:44:19 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: boo/hick r/d
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:07:55 pm »
I would work from just out of the fade to the third mark on the left limb until it evens out with the outher.. then look at it again..

Badbill

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 03:43:41 pm »
I agree with David the left limb needs some more work on it. I wouldn't take off much though.

rattlesnake

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »
somthing seems a miss here ? the limb on the right seems longer? depending on shelf etc?? ide take some measurments before i go any further??/,,,..snake

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:07:57 pm »
the limbs are the same length,there is no shelf,undecided as of yet which is toop and bottom,i'll let the bow decide that.

now i havent done any more work on it since i posted that pic. i let it sit for a few hours,watches some tv,put 65 miles on the bike
came home and braced it aqgain and this is what i saw,personnally dont know what changed. heres a pic

i took measurements at the tips  less than 3/4 "  diff from fence board to tip,every six inches down the limbs every thing measures same same on both limbs
any thoughts on what changed just from sitting?

gotta go take the wife out to supper now,thanks for the input as always

peace,
                                                                                tim

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »
A unbraced picture would help so we can see how much its bending out of the fades and how much is glued in deflex. I personaly would mess around with the fades much. It looks to me like its doing all it bending in the inner limb. The mid limb out is still reflexed so its not working much at all.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 11:02:21 pm »
here ya go ryano

ask and ye shall recieve, an unbraced pic. the bow is laying upside down,to keep it balanced and not fall from the fence.
however it is still the same limb to the left.
thanks again

tim

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 11:50:05 pm »
My bows do that but its how I brace them, I put lower limb on right foot ,left knee on the handle and pull back with the other hand on top limb. Once its braced it looks kinda off ,but once I draw it once or twice every thing comes back to equilibrium. I bend top limb a little more getting the string on.
                                                   Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:00:41 am »
i was wondering if the way it was braced had something to do with it.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:05:54 am »
Im gonna say left limb the mid and outer limb needs a little removal and the right fade a little to even them up but make sure that outer limbs are uncoiling during the draw. I think you will still have reflex at full draw with that profile. You could tiller it to an even curve but I think you would loose some power. This is by no means professional advice ;D Just my guess from seeing the pics. Might be different if I could see it working.                   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 12:09:03 am »
you just have it to brace ,not full tiller yet right
                                                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:51 am »
kayakfisher, yup its just at brace,not even close to full tiller as of yet

jesse s ,you say that i should remove on the left mid to outer limb and the right fade,should i do this even though the measurements from string to belly
are the same(+ - 1/8") in the same spot on each limb,i have markes every six inches as measured from the tips,these are what i used as reference marks when measuring from string to belly

thanks again

tim
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:37:35 pm by sailordad »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »
Tim, I'd pull on it to close to your intended draw weight about a inch at a time. Its really hard to tell whats working and whats not at this point. As long as the tiller seems to stays even and you don't see any problem places arising, take it another inch,etc,etc.... untill you see if those outer limbs are going to open up at all. They look to stiff to me.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
Thats gonna be a god one.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 07:17:24 pm »
I would trust your tape measure more than my eye ;D I agree with Ryan its a little hard to tell without seeing it flexed a little. As Ryan said pull on it until you see an area that needs work. Get both limbs as even as possible and bending correctly then pull it to your draw weight slowly watching for trouble spots. See where your at. If your at  55# and is only 15" then just scrape both limbs the same and work out to your draw length. You probably know that already ;D   Good luck     
 Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark