Author Topic: Disadvantage of True Oil?  (Read 10997 times)

Offline wally

Re: Disadvantage of True Oil?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 02:23:31 pm »
thanks whitewoodhunter,
I'll try that silicone spray to keep fletches upright in the rain. I already knew about holding feathers over steam, in fact I once jammed some arrows in the back of car after heavy rainfal day  (big mistake). Anyhoo they were flat, rwisted and kinked the wrong way, looked beyond repair. But the miracle of nature fooled me again. Held them over steam and before my very eyes they straightened, reformed, clicked together like velcro and looked as good as new in 4 seconds.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Papa Matt

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 02:32:59 pm »
Brothers, I am surprised to see how many of you do not trust True Oil to be waterproof. When I get the stuff on my hands, I can was 20 times with water and even soak my hands in water and spray alcohol on them and the stuff feels like it was never touched!!
I can't even figure out a good way to get it off short of mineral spirits or something. How can this stuff not be waterproof?  ???

~~Papa Matt

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 04:52:06 pm »
I put 10 coats of Tru-Oil on my bows and have yet to experience a problem with rain (and we get a lot of it in the NW).
Gordon

Papa Matt

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 04:59:39 pm »
That's what I would expect, Gordon. I don't see any way rain can penetrate this stuff unless it breaks down over time, cause when I get it on my hands, soap and water repeatedly can't get it off, nor can 90% Isopropyl alcohol--and that's when it's not even dry!  :o

tommy6

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
I have to agree with Jawge, I have had some problems with raised grain on tru oil treated bows. This wasnt from exposure to rain but only high humidity. The 1 waterproof finish I have found is thinned epoxy resin. The good thing about it is that depending on how much it is sanded you can go from hi gloss to dull matte. You can also put spar varnish over epoxy for UV protection. Not very primitive but more "Green" than many other finishes we use.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »
  wallynosocks, On a hunt last year with Chris Cade and Hillbilly it rained all weekend. My feathers were still standing after a lite coat of Poly-Urethane.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Papa Matt

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 06:09:14 pm »
Tommy, I'm not sure what you and Jawge mean about "raised grain". You don't mean it cause the back of your bow to splinter do you??  :-\

tommy6

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 06:17:21 pm »
No there is no damage to the bow. Try this at home: Take some scrap wood and sand it down nicely to about 220 grit. Now saturate the wood with water, use a sponge or wet towel till the wood turns darker. Let the wood dry a few hours and you will notice that the grain will be raised, you can see it and feel it. This often happens when using water based finishes. To fix take some 300- 400 grain paper and LIGHTLY sand the grain till smooth. There is usually no problem with raised grain except that by resanding you remove some more wood which can be bad on a tillered bow, or if Tru oil was applied and the grain raised, when you sand you remove tru oil and more wood, which can be bad.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 06:41:37 pm »
hope no one is confusing   water proof   &    water resistant

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Papa Matt

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 09:10:42 am »
I see what you mean now. I've had that experience before when I got sanded arrow shafts wet before putting a finish on them and had to dry and re-sand.

No confusion here between water proof and water resistant, it just would seem to me that a couple coats or more of True Oil would be both.

~~Matt

tommy6

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:40 am »
I guess the best approach is "How do I slow the intrusion of water into my wood to a rate slow enough that when I get down from my tree stand the bow doesnt feel like a sponge?"
Nothing is fool proof, with the amount of abuse my bows take (I am a full on spazz) sometimes its better to use a finish that is easily repaired than say a full on epoxy coating that will eventually crack and allow water to get in all quiet like so that by the time you realize there is a problem your wood has turned a dull shade of yellow brown and has taken 5" of set. ....not that thats ever happened to me :-[

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 09:59:44 am »
I know a few of you guys like it but I don't. Its no where near as durable as good old polyurathane. I've had the same problems as Jawge in the rain or hight humidity. I can make a bow look just as good with poly and and a coat of paste wax and not have to worry about its durabillity in wet weather. Water just beads up and rolls right off.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:51 am »
Have used a lot of different types of finishes and stick with Tru oil. To each's own opinion. I've hunted in rain and snow and even dropped my bow into the creek( didn't float either ::)) only to shoot a deer with it an hour later. The only suggestion I have is to re-apply it at the end of the season like you would any of the waxes or pastes. Use the bow enough and ANY finish will wear down, some more than others. If you're not sure what finish to use then experiment with some and find out what you prefer. Good luck this season to all!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Minuteman

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:29 pm »
I tried it once on a gunstock, an 870 slug gun . Used to hunt deer with it in the rain alot as a matter of fact. Tru oil was less than worthless at keeping water out of the wood. The finish turned cloudy and milky looking . Never used it on bows . I use quick drying high gloss poly u for a few coats then finish with a satin spray on spar urethane to cut the shine. Apply shipotwax as needed to keep everything tight.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33:25 pm »
Tru-oil is a great finish.I have put from 10-12 coats on a lot of bows,and it's all I use anymore.The only disadvantage to tru-oil,that I have found,is that insect repellent will break it down.But on a good note,all you have to do is sand it,steel wool it,then re-apply.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas