Author Topic: Finely ready.  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Finely ready.
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:01:55 am »
Got the last few stand up Sat.and got all 3 of my bows and 2 dozen arrows ready to go.
6 of the arrows are Cain and Sour wood with trade points,12 more out of Hickory some
with trade points and some with 160 ace heads and 6 cedar with 160 ace.2 of the bows are
Osage in the 50 lb. range and my latest IW at around 54lbs. That should do it.All I need to do
this week is get um sharp. :) Love them Beach trees for stands,the leaves will stay with them till spring. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Finely ready.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:53 am »
I recognize that tree...sure is in a good spot!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33:26 am »
Wish I had that many good shooting arrows!!

I'm ready except for the sharpening too.  Oh... I do have to put a nice comfy seat pad on 2 of my stands.

Best of luck to you!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:39 pm »
Looks like you are ready Pappy ! All the Beach trees around here are dying from something  :-[ Not many around anymore....Good luck to you hunting !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:27:45 pm »
Looks like you are ready to go.Think about me while your sticking a hole in that big ol buck. Good luck and happy hunting.I guess life really is good.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline GlennM

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:16 am »
We have a few more weeks unil out NY season (mid Oct)  I have 3 Pheasant hunts planned before that and chase squirrels each weekend.  Most of out stands are hung and I practice every day.  Since switching to left hand I am just about finished with a BBO that I'd like to hunt with at LBL this year.  The dates for that may allow us to stay a few more days since New Years eve is on a wednesday and we dont have to work until Mon.  We'll see what the boys say!

Good luck,

Glenn

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:09 am »
Can't wait to see yall GlennM. Good luck and shoot straight,O YA I know you always do that.  :) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:25:53 am »
Good lookin stuff Pappy - you will get your deer ;D. I on the other hand have two arra's that shoot. I've been reading the Witchery of archery here lately and have decided I need to make lot's of arra's ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:07 am »
Better than me Paul I have one arrow that shoots but hey it only takes one right ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »
Yes, arra's should always be mass produced. Out of the 40 that I have made, I think only about 10 are good shooters. No matter how many I have I always feel like I should make at least TWICE that many.

I'm stil trying to build up the courage to try my hand at Cowboy's cane he sent me. I finally put them out in the sun to take away some of the green color and try to get them more of like cream or tan. Of course, color is not really what I'm worried about; it's the straightening part that has made me be so patient about getting started. I stare at them for a few minutes every day when I get home from work and make sure I have all my thoughts organized on how to go about it. I might try a couple this weekend. Maybe I'll cut a few inches off of one first, to see how it goes before trying a whole one for an arra.

~~Matt

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:51 pm »
I've done the same thing Matt,but the only way to learn is jump in with both feet . :)
All of these are shooters but all aren't Cain,I think I have 6 Cain and 4 or 5 shoot shafts and the rest are Hickory,all about 600 to 625 grain and shoot good. The Hickory will shoot out of all of these bows,the Cain and shoot shafts only shoot to my liking out of the Osage without the skins. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:07:46 pm »
Pappy, it looks like you're ready for someone to say "GO" and the hunt is on. Good luck and nice looking arsenal!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Papa Matt

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 02:01:54 pm »
Pappy, where do you get your hickory shafts, split them out yourself?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »
Pappy, I have no doubt that you and your arrows will make meat. If the beech tree is droping nuts your stand should be a good producer. Good luck...as if you need it! ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:14 am »
Pat, that beach tree was selected as a stand sight mostly because of cover and location. It has several good white oak tree's around and the beach tree offers the hunter good cover as it is a large tree and the leaves stay on all fall. This particular spot where the stand is located is a good bottle-neck travel area as well due to it being a little finger ridge that drops off pretty steep on one side. It ties into a larger ridge that borders a good size creek bottom field. The deer travel this larger ridge staying in cover, then this little finger ridge is their first opportunity to cut over and skirt the lower end of the field.

Pappy's son Beau used to hunt this spot with good success...an advantage of learning an area over years of hunting. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...