Author Topic: Growing into a Bow  (Read 5508 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Growing into a Bow
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:42:35 pm »
OK folks I need you to tell me what ya ll think.

As many of you know I have a son.
That boy is now 15 years old and 6' 2" and change.

However he only weighs 150 lbs.
He is skinny as a bean pole and has little strength in his arms and shoulders.

Several weeks back I started a new Osage (D Belly) long bow for him.  My first D belly bow.
At this time the bow is 72" long.  I plan to tiller it out to 35 Lbs at his 29" draw.

As my son ages he should gain a lot of strength in his arms and shoulders.  By the time he is 17 he will most likely be considerbely stronger that he is now.

OK this is where you folks come in.

Insteed of making him a completely new bow I plan cut about an inch off this D belly bow every year or so to increase the draw weight.
A little touch up on the tiller, a little new finish and he should be good to go for a while.

If I cut 1" from each end of the bow three times the bow will still be 66" long.  And should have a draw weight of around 50 Lb's.

Am I nuts?? or can I get away with this??

Thanks
David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Papa Matt

Re: Growing into a Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »
Heck no you ain't nuts! That's a great idea. I have done that with my nephews. Only thing about doing it is, recall that shorter bow will mean a shorter draw length each time you pike it, whereas your boy's length will likely need to increase  :o .  I would still do it anyway, maybe once to add 5-7 lbs, then when it's 70" consider not taking down the length anymore and instead putting a hickory or bamboo backing on to add 15-20lbs when he's 17 or 18. My opinion, brother!

~~Papa Matt

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:52 pm »
Sounds good, but I'd say make it a wide-limbed deep handle, as a shorter bow with deeper handle is alot easier to shoot than a short D (and I speak from experience ;D). Other than that, it's a terrific idea :)!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:53:26 pm »
Huh? Your son will allow you to make only one bow for him?   ;) Dang....all my kids want each type of bow that I have....and I've got at least 5 bows that are shooters.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:49:56 pm »
yes you may be nuts,but that doesnt matter for what your talking about.

i agree with papa matt, after the first piking,i would add a backing to gain lbs,jmho

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:05:18 pm »
Your son sounds like my son I am 5 ,11 and I have to look up to him . Could not ask for a better son. his weight is a Little under your sons and his arms are proportionate to his body. See what he can actually draw and shoot comfortably before you start . Orin started out at 40, then decided he wanted a different bow so we purchased a forbidden bow on this forum [ Bear longbow at 45 pounds ] and hes doing good and building a oak bamboo bow.But I would start with what he can draw and shoot comfortably [ note he shot the forty pound recurve for a year before going to the 45 pound longbow your situation sounds alot like ours I dropped down to 45 pounds so we could order arrow shafts in the 40-45 pound range so we would always have arrows between us and not two different arrow sizes
                       Dennis
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:12:43 pm by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Badbill

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:15:25 pm »
No matter what way you choose, I think it is a cool idea! ;)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:06 pm »
That is definantly a possibility.
I would have to disagree about the shorter draw length thing, because if you shorten the overall lengthand draw length, you'll end up with a bow that pulls 35lb@28", cut it down again, 35lb@27".....
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:39:42 pm »
not to show off or anything but I am only 14, 5'11" and like 120 lbs and comfortably pull 50-55. I could probably even manage a 60#. Just something to keep in mind.

Zander

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
Sounds like a plan David - I've never piked a bow and don't know what kind of poundage you gain by cutting off two inches. If it doesn't work, I seem to recall seeing lots of osage in your back yard ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Far East Archer

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:44:15 am »
Gosh all your tall sons make me feel tiny  :D
......cough* 5'6" cough* haha......

It sounds like a good idea to me as well!  :)
Better start with low weight I believe. You don't want to spoil his form in beginning.

I was teaching some people today how to shoot and needless to say, the big people who think they "tough" could not pull their "small"
bows and suffered in form the most. While the others who use relatively weak bows had great form and quickly made small groups on target.

I think with osage this will be easy task, should last for quite long time.
Good luck!  :)

Alex

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:11:09 am »
Good idea and I am pretty sure it will work,but I would rather build a new one every year,always another bow. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline son of massey

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:57:40 pm »
 its a good bow, your plan should work. if the bow is symmetric you should actually not need much touch up on the tiller and adding a backing would be more work than it needs to be. tim baker has actually advised doing this very thing, and ending with a 66" bow makes for one that should potentially be able to be drawn to a full adult draw-again with likely little touch up tillering.   it is a great way to get a lot of bang out of your buck, and at the end of it your son should be very comfortable with that piece of wood. SOM

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:49:17 pm »
Don't forget you may be able to gain fives ounds down the road from heat treating as well, so if you get close to where you want it but need a little boost that may provide it.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »
not to show off or anything but I am only 14, 5'11" and like 120 lbs and comfortably pull 50-55. I could probably even manage a 60#. Just something to keep in mind.

Zander

At 16, I can pull 80#. At 14, my brother can shoot 65#. However, my good budy at 17 had to start with 40#. We're all different, and starting out too heavy can really mess up your shooting.