Author Topic: 46 1/2" bby begining tiller  (Read 6023 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

46 1/2" bby begining tiller
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:14:25 pm »
   i just wanted to share a bow in progress made from scrap. i started w/ a 1"x 46 1/2" yew board and a bamboo backing salvaged from a bow that failed. by the way, the yew is quarter sawn. i wanted to share the tillering process because the introduction of reflex on a short bow has been a real problem for me. lots of failiers so i have bamboo backings from past failiers laying around. then theres the resent interest in short bows.

right now it pulls 75#@ 5". i left the handle area a little stiff. i'm interested in 50 to 60#@ 25"
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: 46 1/2" bby begining tiller
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:36:24 pm »
Looking good so far, man - that is short.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »
It is fairly short, but I think you can make a 25" draw. If you are looking for  50-60# you should never draw it to 75# even if it is only at 5". Pick a target weight and draw to that weight. Never go over.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:46:09 pm »
Just like what Justin said, also shorten up that tiller string as short as you can without bracing the bow.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »
  thanks for reminding me. i have not gone over sense then. here's what i have now, it looked better in the shop, now i see that the right limb needs to be adjusted, about midlimb out. it is 55#@ 14" as of right know. can you see anything else?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 03:26:36 pm »
Like you said the right limb is a bit stiff starting about 1/3 out the limb. Other than that you are coming along nicely!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
ok heres where i'll quit. my final stopping point. i still think the right limb has a stiff section but i'm a little nervous about the dementions. tips 3/8",mid limb 7/8", just outside fades 1" these are width measurements. thickness is from bow center to tips; 5/8" to 3/8". the bow started 1 1/4" and was narrowed to 1" because i felt it was getting to thin. oh, reflex started at 1" increased to 2" and at this time has 1/4" string follow just unbraced and remains so. final is 55#@ 20". and just for referance the bow weighs 8.5 oz.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
If you would get the last 1/3 of each limb bending...you could make 25 inches of draw no problem....also the right limb is still too stiff from halfway out to the tips.... JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Shaun

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »
Yes that right limb looks a little stiffer both at brace and drawn. I looks in the photos like the right limb is thicker from belly to back - almost even from handle to tip while the left limb looks like it tapers in thickness. This may be camara angle or shadow but that is how it looks in the pics. I think the last third of the bow is bending - since it starts with a reflex and ends up straight. How does it shoot? If the right limb is the bottom it may be fine as is. Not sure I would try for the longer draw length as yew can be overpowered by bamboo backing and take a set.

Overall a very impressive short bow and lovely lines. Good work!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:40:14 pm »
  ok this is my final. bow is 55#@ 24" i have tried everything i know to get more out of it, i think this truely is where i stop with 1 1/4" of string follow. i will try later to get a full draw picture. i think i will go and shoot my knew bow.

once again i would like to thank everyone for your help, and advice.
                                                                                                   chuck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:02:02 pm »
Chuck....are you going to make the Right Limb the Bottom??? Since it is the Stiffer Limb....... I think that the Tiller looks way better too....and 24 inches is really good for the Length of a Bow.....Nice Job...... Now dont get those Panties in a Knot....cause I threw in a Tiller Picture guy!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:48:03 pm »
no worry's , not even twisted. maybe someday i can learn how to do that too. yes, i will make it the bottom limb. thank you.
heres some full draw pictures.   

to be honest i was a little amazed at how fast it moved that 600gr. arrow. i'm very happy with its performance.

chuck

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 09:39:11 pm »
Chuck........I think it's going to be a great litle Bow....Tiller looks better with the Human Factor too.... always like it better than off a Tiller Stick or Tree......nice Job
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:09 am »
I was gonna suggest you have a pic taken of you pulling the bow to full draw for a good tiller reading. Your tiller stick is quite narrow and your hand will support the handle differently.   In the pics your tiller looks good. This is a cool little BBY. You got all the goody out of that stave!  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05:12 am »
thank you guys for all your help and advice(and the humor >:D ;D) heres two more pictures, only ones i have of the back.

chuck