Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 9546 times)

Offline cracker

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 09:07:40 pm »
I agree Dano,everything gets stiff words to live by ;)

Papa Matt dis is a deer bow, she shoots hard and fast :)

cracker its starting into fall up here in da UP :)

Okie I can shoot it right side up or upside down, left or right hand :D I'm not kiddin either but it seems to shoot best with the upside up ::)

I will take a few scrapes on that limb tommow and also take a bit of the sides on the last third to lighten the mass a tad.

Thanks for the input guys :)
Hy da temp jus got to da 89 fer a couple days. Back to da 90s today.Still pretty hot eh.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:44 pm »
I ain't commenting....I gets myself in trouble everytime I critique a Bow.......so.....It looks really Nice Dana!!!   :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Ranger B

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »
Dana, I agree with everyone else on the upper end and also personally I like a little bend further up the limb...but many others don't.  If it were jimmy I'd take just a tad off the last 1/3 of both limbs.

What are you doing in a long sleeve shirt?  Is it already cool up there?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:44 pm »
Dats Yooper Apparel....You wear Flannel Shirts from August to April..... Den you wear Long JohnTops with T Shirts over dem and  Cut Off Jeans till  Summer starts....

Have you got you first Freeze there yet Dana??? My Brother in Ishpeming.... lost most of His Garden the beginning of the Week to overnight frost....but then it got back up in the 70's for a High
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:38 pm »
Looking good Dana.  I would be happy with it.  But I do notice the top limb a bit stiff after others mentioned it.  But like I said I would be more than happy with that tiller.
Traverse City, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:52 pm »
Great looking bow, Dana. Is it finished for BOM. You might give me a heads up if not. Not bookmarked for BOM - I'm away from my personal computer.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 06:41:53 am »
EMike it only got down to 44 here by Lake Michigan, we usually don't get frost till later in Sept, I know low lying inland areas got frost, and yup trees are starting to change, weeds are dying back etc. Winter is coming :)

Ranger B I'm eaither wearing a flannel or have one nearby all year :) Ya never know what the conditions will be around here I've seen 70 degrees in January and snow in July :o

Ok apparently my top limb is stiff ;D Don't sound bad to me ;) hehehehehe
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:05 am »
Dana, didn't read all the other replies, so I'm probably repeating comments here...looks to me like the bottom limb is bending a little more then the top. As long as you have the weight to work with, you might get the top limb matching... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 09:18:26 am »
Dana, man - I think I'd scrape that top limb a little :D ;D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:55 am »
What does the unbraced tiller look like? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:02 am »
Pretty straight George maybe an inch of reflex :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:50:50 am »
What everyone else has said.Top limb ,middle 1/3.Bottom looks good. Don't knock short draws. ;) ;D ;D A man has to work with what he has been given. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 03:22:47 pm »
It is interesting to see everyones critique on a good tiller, tring to make it even better.   What I would say is... How long is the bow? you said it was short but how short.  That might make me want to take a scrape or two right at the top fade.  Also what Jawge said about the un braced profile.   Other than that I think  the top limb is just little stiff in the outer 1/3.
Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 03:31:27 pm »
I just found where you said it was 58".  Personally when I go that short I try to get them bending right out of the fades, the top fade looks a little stiffer than the bottom.   
BTW. The last dozen or so bows I have made I used the digital camera for a check during the last few inches of tillering. You can really study the tiller better.
Again just my preference.
Mark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 08:31:43 am »
Thanks for all the help guys I should have included an unbraced picture, this bow is done now I scraped a little here and there
and good enough is good enough it shoots hard and fast, will be my go to bow this deer season :)

Manistique, MI