Author Topic: STRING MATERIAL  (Read 7146 times)

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
STRING MATERIAL
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »
WITH BEING A PRIMITIVE FORUM,IS SYNTHETIC STRING MATERIALS AN ACCECTABLE SUBJECT? IF NOT HERE GOES ANYWAY,WHATS THE BEST MATERIAL TO USE FOR A PRIMITIVE ,LONGBOW,FLATBOW? I HAVE SEEN IN DIFFERENT CATALOGS DACRON D-50 AND FAST FLIGHT. THE CATALOGS SAY TO CHECK WITH YOUR BOWYER ABOUT FAST FLIGHT. I WANT A FLEMISH TWIST STRING SHOULD I US THE D-50 OR IS THERE SOME BETTER. I HAVE SEEN IN PA GUT TWIST AND SINEW MADE STRINGS ARE THESE BETTER OR JUST MORE PRIMITIVE? WILL WELCOME ALL SUGGESTIONS AND COMMITS. THANKS YA'LL  BRIAN
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline sailordad

Re: STRING MATERIAL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:16 pm »
ya people one here use them all the time,notme casue i have yet to learn make my own strings ;)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:37:22 pm »
Brian, it's hard to beat B-50 dacron for an all-around everyday string. Haven't tried the D-50, and I'm a bit paranoid about fastflight, though several people on here use it with no problems. If I'm making a replica bow, or one that I want to stay completely primitive on, sinew, rawhide, or gut would be the way to go. Some people like linen, and it would be more appropriate for an English longbow replica.  For everyday shooting, though, it's hard to beat B-50. Cheap, strong, durable, easy to use. It can be a bit stretchy at first on high-poundage bows. I usually make Flemish strings with a braided loop on top and a timber hitch tied on the bottom.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:33 pm »
I think Ted Fry coined the phrase, "classical archery", for wood bow archery in the era just before fiberglass, when modern tools, finishes, and strings were coming about, and arrows were being made from manufactured dowels.  That description fits my style better than "primitive", which I reserve for wooden bows with natural finishes, glues, strings, and arrows processed from the same.  In any case, my favorite bowstring material is Dynaflight 97. 

Unlike linen, which has a short life and is prone to breakage, and B-50, which creeps and requires frequent twisting and retuning, D-97 has a very low stretch, is extremely durable, stable, and is quite affordable in the superstring realm.  No fuss, no muss.  Those with just one bow and a broader interest in primitive things may well be tolerant of the upkeep required with primitive string materials.  I'm not.  I've used D-97 on all my bows (50-70# typically) for 8 yrs without any detriment.  In fact, I feel B-50, with it's tendency to stretch, is much more apt to do damage during early, low brace tillering, when the bow is braced, the string stretches, and the angle of the string becomes so acute that it tends to split the limb along its length. 

The trouble in using D-97 with some glass laminated bows is that if the limb tips are very thin and not reinforced with an overlay, they could shear without the stretchy cushion of B-50.  This is not an issue with selfbows that generally have much thicker limb tips and are stronger.

Far East Archer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:22 am »
Hi Adam  :)

Linen does not stretch much, yes? So, by using say D-97 or even other low stretch string material, wouldn't this be equivalent to using a linen string that is just more long lasting?

I really don't like B-50 as it stretches a lot compared to my linen and hemp strings I have made. I always wondered about the other string materials, but shied away from them when I hear people say they can break your bow.

Alex

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »
I have seen the use of plastic nocks on this website, and I have a feeling the people who used them did not gather materials, to chemically make a plastic to pour into a stone mold. Therefore: I think synthetic string material is justifiable. If this is your first string, I have the perfect plan for you. Buy the B-50. Hard to go wrong, costs less than ten bucks.

The technigue is known as the Marc St. Louis. I was never gonna make a string, cause I was obviously intimadated by the flemish twist. All you need is a knife, B-50, two nails, and a handy not mounted vice. You put drive the nails into your work bench, at least 6 inches longer than the string, or more. Wrap around the nails, however many strands needed, always an even number so the two cut ends will be on the same side. On the good end, tie a bowline knot. On the end where the two strings are cut, go up 12 inches and loosely clamp the strings together. Divide the all the loops and ends into three groups. waxem to keep them together. Braid to the end. Tie a knot at the end so the braids do not come undone. Use the bowyers knot on this end. or the timber hitch. One thing, you gotta serve the center of the string.

That was how I made my first two strings, but then I learned, and use, the flemish twist. Hopefully others could see this, and go for makin theire own strings.
Sorry Mr. Marc, if i explained it wrong.

...or you could just go with the flemish twist.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
I've never noticed all this undue stretchiness and creep with B-50 that everyone talks about. I've got bows with B-50 strings that have been shot a couple thousand times with no twisting or adjustment. I usually notice a small amount of stretch when the bow is first strung with a new string, after twisting it up once to adjust, I never touch it again until it's worn out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline aruge

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:45:30 pm »
If you have or can get a copy of Primitive Archer Feb/Mar 2008, it has an article on page 21 showing how to make a "Mark St Louis string". I believe he also posted it on this forum about the time the mag came out.

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »
B-50 works great. Yeah, it will stretch for a very small time, then it stops. Never did have trouble with having to re-adjust a string. I've never, ever had one split.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »
where do you buy it at?

ive been to the local craft store,never heard of the stuff,same at the fabric stores. :(

need it fast,cant finish my boo hick r/d bow untill i make a string,and hunting season is fast approaching.

tim

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:07 pm »
You have to get it from a archery supplier......Try threeriversarchery.com
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:50:33 am »
Three Rivers is where I usually get mine, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:12 am »
Man, as far as material I always use artificial sinew to make my own strings. You make the, as thick or thin, and as strong or light as you need. And as long as you don't mistreat them and let them get worn, they never break. And while they are artificial, it does give your bow a slightly more primitive "look" than most other strings of dacron or whatever that you might buy.

~~Papa Matt

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:32 am »
ya but isnt that just regular old waxed string,what about stretch?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 10:22:38 am »
Like Hillbilly, I don't see the severe stretch that some talk about with B-50. Initially it stretches a very small amount and then no more. If it's still stretching then I would make sure that it was put together properly and is not coming apart.

Sailordad, there is a dvd that you can purchase through 3rivers archery called "Doing the Twist " that is very helpful if you're a visual learner like myself.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956