Author Topic: Help, have i messed up..new pics/problems  (Read 6014 times)

Offline newknapper

Help, have i messed up..new pics/problems
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »
Black locust 68" , 1 1/2" @ the fades to mid limb. I wanted to make it 1 5/8" but didnt have enough wood to do so. The following pics are of some pin knots that were close to the edge and could not go around them b/c of lack of material, and dont think I should remove them b/c the limbs are already narrow as i want to go. So can i back it with something and make it ok?

Their on opposite limbs of the bow

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:03:09 pm by newknapper »

Offline kayakfisher

Re: Help, have i messed up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:56:18 pm »
I have had a couple like that back it with rawhide it will probably be alright
                                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:45 pm »
Will you post a pic of the side and belly of the bow at the knots? On both, if they stays on the side through the limb, I might take them out and leave the limb a bit thicker there to accommodate the less width. You're only talking 1/4" or less from where I sit. The rest of the stave looks clean enough to handle the decrease in width.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline newknapper

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:35 am »
Will you post a pic of the side and belly of the bow at the knots? On both, if they stays on the side through the limb, I might take them out and leave the limb a bit thicker there to accommodate the less width. You're only talking 1/4" or less from where I sit. The rest of the stave looks clean enough to handle the decrease in width.   Pat

We'll do Pat, I will take them tomorrow. I havent started reducing the belly yet waiting on advice what to do.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:28 am »
On the next one, when you have a knot near the edge, just let the line flow out around it and leave some extra width there. Nobody said that a wooden bow has to have straight lines. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »
here ya go pat

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:13 pm »
I don't really think you have much of a problem.  You have plenty of good wood where the small knots are located. I would proceed without concern if it was my bow.

Dave

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
I would have to agree with Dave. If it was mine I'd leave them just like that and make a bow. I've made several very similar to that and never had a problem.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Papa Matt

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:01:39 pm »
You can also take some Titebond and put a couple drops right into those knots, before your stain/finish. This would be a quick, cheap way to give yourself some assurance. If it was me, I'd also wrap those areas in sinew, just because I like the added assurance. Not saying you'd have to do that.

~~Papa Matt

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:26 pm »
  Like Hillbilly said, next time go with the grain of wood. It's what makes self bows unique.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:56:53 pm »
Yes, I normally let the wood swirl around a knot. Leave it wider in that area. A selfbow doesn't have to have to same width through out. You could try leaving a little, just a little more wood on the belly under the knot. Remember when tillering the knotted area should appear a little stiffer, just a little because those are small knots. More info on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline newknapper

Re: Help, have i messed up...new pics
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »
Good grief, now look at this and gimme your thoughts. The stave was narrow where the hadle is now, I am guessing that when it was split it splinter'd and left this gouge. I thought it would be gone by now from floor tillering, will its bending good on the floor and it still there. Any ideas, one good thing is the more I do this the more I learn ::)

here is the booger

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Help, have i messed up..new pics/problems
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »
If it was me!! from just seeing pics I would try and use a scrapper or sand paper and feather it out you wont lose much draw weight as it is on the side..

David

Papa Matt

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:43:05 pm »
Knight is right. I think that's what most of us would do. If it really bother you, you could get some liquid wood and fill it in, but the quickest, easiest, and most efficient would be to just lightly sand it out. It should not be a problem.

~~Papa Matt

Offline newknapper

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 05:53:04 pm »
Thanks folks, I will try to feather out the edges some. I'll post progress and more ????'s....lol

Gotta make a trip to the hardware store, can't seem to find my nock file  :-\