Author Topic: Black Locust Snake Bow  (Read 8842 times)

Papa Matt

Re: Black Locust Snake Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:29 pm »
Rob~

I think we see what you are trying to do and we can all relate to it. It's your first bow and you want to give it all the protection it can get cause your proud of it and who wouldn't be. You want to protect it so that it will be around and shooting for a long long time. I see insight in that and respect you for it.

Black Locust is a good strong snappy wood and I think you're making a good choice backing it with rawhide. It's "primitive" and not that hard or expensive to do. Get er done and enjoy your bow ol boy.

~~Papa Matt

snakebow

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:20 pm »
I'm on my second year with a b.l. bow that is 66" long, 65 lbs. @ 27". No backing and it is fast and accurate. I love it and would compare it to an osage bow of the same design.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:10:16 pm »
Thanks Papa Mat, encouragement is what every one needs that is building his or her first bow. So as I have been tillering it I have been pulling it to get the wood used to being pulled, but never to far. Tonight it made that terrible sound,a small crack along the side, I then used a  glue that I trust for everything, glued the crack and released the tension, I have now back the bow with goat rawhide which is very thin,and wrapped it with bandage to make sure it stays tight.
Sure hope I have done this right.
                  Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:37 am »
Sounds like you might have a little grain run out.  Backing it will definitely help.  Another thing to remember on the next one is to round the corners a little then sand the sides and back nice and smooth before you begin tillering. You will still make it.  Just take it nice and slow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 11:12:48 am »
thanks Justin, when you guys comong to Canada, I sure could use your your expertise,and help. Maybe we could talk Marc St. Louis in starting a rondezevous up here in Canada.

Robb
p.s. now I'll have Mark angry with me for suggesting that one.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »
You set us up a bear hunt and Im sure we can get a crowd up there, I know I will be.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:39 pm »
Where abouts in Ontario are you Robb? I'm in michigans UP about an hour and half from Sault Ste Marie :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:15:10 pm »
I don't mean to change the subject, but any you brothers ever ate bar? I just happened to think of it when Justin mentioned bar hunting in Canada. I don't hunt anything I don't intend to eat and I thought if I kill a bar I'd have to find a way to dress it and eat it.

~~Matt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 01:43:36 pm »
Bear is good eating Matt, looks kinda like a dead person once the skin is off though :o ;) ;D

Make sure to save the fat for rendering also.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:48:57 pm »
I half-way imagined that it would be, kind of like a giant racoon. Boy, if a person takes a bar you would really be in a good haul then eh. All kinds of raw material, teeth, claw, great big hide, sinew?, fat, bone. Such a generous little bar to give up all those wonderful gifts. Man, it makes me wish we had bar here in Indiana.

Hey Dana, you's got moose there in the UP don't ya's?

~~Matt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
Yup but if yer caught shootin one, they execute ya :D Same with wolves ??? :(

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:10 am »
That's really too bad but it's to ensure the survival of the beast I guess. Here in Indiana our variety of beast is not at all what it was say 200 years ago. Of course everything changes a lot in 200 years, but it just goes to show ya what people can do to destroy their environment. We used to have bar, panther, bobcat, buffalo, rattlesnake, eagle, elk, wolves, and the list goes on and on, like in most states. Now we ain't got none of them besides a rare bobcat, rattlesnake or eagle that have been re-introduced. Even foxes in a lot of places are becommin rare. I'm 30, and in all my life living out in the country, hunting, farming, etc. have not seen more than 6 foxes. Good Lord, it's not uncommon to go rabbit huntin' anymore and not see nothin the whole day!

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
Dana I'm about 45min outside Windsor Ontario, or an hour from Detroit. As far as bear goes it's like a dark pork, and to be truthful with ya I've had it cooked different ways including meatballs and I still wasn't that fond of it.

Robb

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:22 am »
I think bear meat is excellent, tastes very similar to beef. The ways most people try to cook wild game would ruin a filet mignon, and then they say they don't like it. There is a lot of difference in bear depending on what they have been eating, though. Dump-scavenger bears often aren't fit to eat, or ones that have been eating a lot of fish taste funky. Besides the meat, bear grease is great stuff, you can even make biscuits with it, just like you would use lard or any other shortening.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 12:03:56 pm »
ive only had bear meat once

thought it was greasy an stringy :P

but i would try it again,as long as someone differant was cooking it this time
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd