Author Topic: Black Locust Snake Bow  (Read 8844 times)

Offline robbsbass

Black Locust Snake Bow
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:33:22 am »
As usual I'm lkooking for your help,or advise. In one of the books I was reading, it states that a b.l. bow should be backed., with either sinue rawhide or leather. I have a fair amount of fairly thin leather that I could use if you guys agree, and what then is the best glue. Can I use contact cement , or should I use something else.

Robb
live each day the best you can

Offline sailordad

Re: Black Locust Snake Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:37:54 am »
with leather i would use hide glue,but i have never used nothing other than boo as a backing as of yet

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:40:30 am »
Black locust is very strong in tension so it does not need a backing. It is also the strongest wood in compression in NA but it is brittle so compression fractures(frets, chrysals) can be a problem.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:38:18 am »
No backing nessasary if you have chased a ring on the back.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »
Seeing that this is my first bow, and I really don't want it to brake, do you think backing it with the leather would hurt, just for the added security or peace of mind, rember this has a little bit of a snake to it and is going to be hard to tiller. One of you guys told me to put it aside and try a simpler bow as my first one, I'm stubborn and really want to try to get it right.

Robb

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »
Leather isn't the best option. If you really want to back it I would use something lighter in weight like silk.  You will get every benefit you would from leather without the weight to steal performance.  Use Tight Bond with the silk.  Snakey is more tricky, so patience will be your greatest tool. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:58 pm »
Backing is good insurance, if you really think you need it, use rawhide, it will give great protection.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:54:55 pm »
Just one question Justin, If I use silk will that take me out of the concept of being a primative bow. I'm just asking, you guys know alot more than I do and I respect your opion and teachings.
                      Robb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:59 am »
I guess a truely primitive bow would have rawhide or sinew backing. For your first bow you ought to concentrate on proper tiller and the proper use of the tools to get you there. I'd bet this won't be the only bow you will build. You can always learn to be more primitive later. ;D  Make a good shooting bow and be proud of it, then go start your next. If your first bow fails, and most do  ::) , learn from your mistakes and start another.
   With osage, if the rings are decent early/late ratio and you chase a back ring with no violations in it you should not need a backing. Also, if you screw up that nice snaky osage stave you will hate yourself in the morning. >:( There will come a time when you wished you had it back again! ::) I know this for a fact!!! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:15:41 am »
thanks Pat.

Robb

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 01:48:28 am »
There will come a time when you wished you had it back again! ::) I know this for a fact!!! ;)     Pat
Boy isn't that the truth.

Rob, silk may not be a traditional choice, but it is a natural material. Considering the weaker compression strength of BL I was just thinking of a back that wouldn't add more stress to the belly.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 02:06:32 am »
Hey Justin, I just wanted to thankyou for your help. I thought about it and I think I will try to use rawhide. One reason is that it is more traditional and the other reason is,, well to be truthful it will save me some explaining when I show up at a rondevous .One more stupid question, is it better to finish tillering after the rawhide is put on or before, hopefully I won,t have any more questions till I take the final pics to show you guys my first attempt.

Robb

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 08:48:05 am »
Put the rawhide on before you tiller it. I would get it to a good floor even tiller and then glue the hide on. Actually, I would leave it unbacked-if it's a good stave and you've followed the grain, you don't really need a backing, just extra weight. Locust is some tough stuff. Out of curiosity, which book did the "locust should always be backed" come from? There are unpteen thousands of unbacked locust bows out there, it's stronger in tension than many of the usual bow woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:49:17 am »
It's hard to break a black locust bow's back.  It doesn't like to splinter.  I have a crazy little hatchet bow I made in one day from a dead black locust tree limb.  It has grain violations on the back, it is short, crooked, thin, ugly, and shoots great.  it's not much thicker than a piece of lath but it's not going to break anytime soon.  Be confident you've got good bow wood and trust it to be strong.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7878.0.html

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 04:03:42 pm »
Hey Hillbilly,
The book I got my Info. from was The Bent Stick, Please correct me if I've read it wrong, remember I have a head Injury and can't read very well anymore, not an excuse but I do try, t5o do the best I can.

Robb