Author Topic: Bow shop  (Read 6854 times)

Huaco

Bow shop
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:54:07 pm »
I know this is not about A bow specifically... here me out.  If it needs to be moved later, then by all means, move it to the appropriate place.

What does your bow shop look like?  Show us your shop.  What is your most used (favorite) tool... Flip-side, what is your least used tool?

I am planning on building one of these in my back yard.  16x20x17 to 19 feet.  Two story gambrel roof workshop.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

Re: Bow shop
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:00:17 am »
i'm not at home right now,on vacation in SC,hade to see my son ya know.

however if you look at most of my post you can see my set up,in the summer its the garage,the winter its the basement
most used tool would be mypatience, rasp and scraper and my caliper for measurement taking of limb thickness and width,least used would be draw knife( I WRECK TO MANY STAVES WITH THAT THING)

but heck while im gone just go right ahead and build that in my back yard,just put it right next to the garage in the old sand box for me, ok.

when i get home,if i remember,then i'll post pics of both setups

wife says i should keave it in the garage,but that gets toooooo dang cold in january in mn

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:02:02 am »
Here's my new shop. The old one was a little cramped with a boat, 4 wheelers, lawn mowers and a truck. The new section is 25' x 30', a good size, don't know who's going to keep it clean. I have the inside almost done. Here are a few pictures just to tease the shop impared.

The old

Construction of the new

Outside completed

And a few inside shots

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Huaco

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:05:31 am »
I found a guy here in Upstate SC that has his own sawmill.  He is offering me DISCOUNTED prices for lumber.  It is not all pretty and planed down like the stuff at Lowes, but I will take it!!! He said he would cut any quantity of any size cut any way I want it!!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:07:12 am »
Here's my new shop.  The new section is 25' x 30', a good size, don't know who's going to keep it clean.

your married aint ya?

tim

please dont tell my wife i said that  lol

Huaco

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:05 am »
 :o
[wiping drool off the laptop now]

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:13:37 am »
Yep, married ;D I like your plan, If I didn't have the old building to start with, I would have done the same thing, the size is good too.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:38 am »
I'm jealous Dano. I need both halves.  My four wheeler is getting sun bleached and I cant remember the last time I could park in the garage.  ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:50:00 am »
My favorite big tool is a good 14", 1hp band saw. Other power tools I use are a table top belt/disc sander and a drill press with a drum sander attachment. Other than that I use a few rasps, scrapers, knives, clamps, hot box, heat gun, vice, shaving horse...well, you'll see next weekend! ;) I hope you aren't offended by a messy shop. 8) I'm not as anal retentive as these other guys! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:58:40 am »
yup a messy shop is a happy shop

except when its in the basement then its     a clean shop is a happy wife,cause if she aint happy   nobodys happy

man i cant wait to buy a place out in the country with some out buildings just so i can have a nice, larger permanent shop.
that would be nice so i wouldnt have to move everything twice a year,seems like some things always get misplaced when i do that.

tim

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:38 am »
Summer I'm in the backyard winter I'm in the dungeon :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:25:11 am »
I have a small woodshop off the back of my two car garage. Its insulated and heated. Works pretty good for me even in the winter.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Far East Archer

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:44:02 am »
Shop > Balcony, no tillering devices, just a bench with a vise.

Most Used Tool > Drawkinfe/Japanese Kanna ( use both almost equally)

Least Used Tool > Hatchet/axe (too noisy for apartment life  :P)

Alex

radius

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 03:21:24 pm »
my god dano!  what a setup!  What else do you do in your shop?  are you a furniture maker, or anything like that?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 03:26:28 pm »
Mines a small 10'by10' shed. It gets a bit cramped on space in there with the bows and tools and pottery equipment!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill