Author Topic: The corner of Osage and Hedge  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Mark Smeltzer

The corner of Osage and Hedge
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:26:56 am »
I thought there might be some Osage growing in my area, but did not expect to find street signs leading me right to it, and land owners willing to let me work my but off for three, 10 hr. days to get a truck load of it.  That is the toughest stuff I have cut and also by far the densest.
This will be the first Ca. Osage I've used.  The earlywood latewood ratio is really good. I was surprised!

Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: The corner of Osage and Hedge
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:16 am »
That's hilarious! Where's the picture of your truckload :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:44:56 am »
After cutting, splitting and loading the trees  I was such a whipped pup that I did not take pics of the truck loaded, but I'll put up a couple of the wood pile.  Had to clean up ater myself really good too.....I want to be invited back.
Mark

radius

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 02:46:56 am »
lucky man!

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:47:36 am »
What part of california are you in? I used to see some in orange county years ago. Steve

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:41 am »
I feel pretty luck to have gotten that Osage.   
Steve,  I live half way between Tahoe and Sac off hwy 50.  That Osage came from the Sac. area.  In the farm lands it's planted along the country roads.  Much of it is on the counties right of way.
Mark

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:58:56 pm »
Thats great! Sometimes ya gotta follow th signs. Lookin forward to seeing some of that!

Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:30:56 pm »
Hey Mark,
            Thats great! There is no doubt you can turn this into a side gig.. :o If you have any clean wood left after Badger buys most of what you have :o ;D, please keep me in mind. I'd love to get some local bodark....

Rich

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:45:33 pm »
So Orange County is short for Osage Orange?  Cool.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »
      Those old ranches in so cal were loaded with osage, now most of them are housing tracts. I remember seeing the hedgeapples when I was out training my bird dogs. Mark, if any wood goes up for sale please keep me in mind. Thanks Steve

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 04:10:43 pm »
I wouldn't mind parting with some. I'll let you both know.  I'm pretty anxious to make a bow from it too.  Not too often I can get local stuff except Yew.
The rural areas here are disapearing too.  But there is still some Osage out there.  I'll post a couple more pictures of what I have.  About half of it is pretty snakey.  That is the heaviest wood I've ever cut.   I had to split most of it on the spot, I could not load it in the truck
Mark

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »
Mark - I'm from Tahoe, and I've heard of Osage trees around the Sac Area, but I was never able to find any. If only I had known that the map had the location right on it! As for local stuff: don't forget white oak. That stuff is nearly indestructable. It's like west coast Hickory. There are also a few places with some good Maple, birch and other good white woods around. You wouldn't happen to cut your yew in Pollock Pines?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:49:28 pm by waterlogged »
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:02:25 pm »
Waterlogged,
Actually I have cut some White Oak and you are right.  I haven't had good luck with the Local Black Locust though.  That could just be the particular location it came from.  The Yew that I have cut was near to Bear River Res.
That is a very limited deal though.  It's hard to find private land owners willing to let you take it.  And the state rarely gives permits to take down any tree on state land.
Mark

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »
Really? I had no trouble getting a permit from the forest ranger's office at fresh pond. Found a good amount, though I'll need to scout more in the area when I go to cut some more, because I pretty much got all the straight wood from the area I found.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »
No kidding. They gave me heck for even asking to take down a live tree. Firewood is OK though.

I live in Camino,  it's fairly common in this area too. Sly Park has lots also.
We'll have to talk.  Ranger station at Fresh Pond you say?