Author Topic: price for arrows  (Read 7704 times)

Offline Strongbow88

price for arrows
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »
My boss at work wants me to make him one possibly two primitive arrows for a gift to his son. they will be either cane of shoot shafts.I'm going to take a couple of my finished arrows to work tommorrow so he can choose. he also has the choice between stone or metal broadheads. He insist on paying me for them. My question is what would be a fair price for one.
                                                                    Thanks for your input,

Danny Johnson

Offline scattershot

Re: price for arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:50:26 pm »
hard to put a price on something like that, if you don't make them for sale. If you like the guy, have him buy you a beer.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:03:35 am »
I can easily put 2 to 3 hours in one arrow. I'd think $25 would be a reasonable price.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:18 am »
If I sell wall hangers with stone points I usually ask $40. If you know it is going to be a wall hanger make it look great, but you can use shafts that are questionable as shooters. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »
I've seen primitive arrows for sale on ebay for anywhere between $7 to $45 depending on quality.  The best reproductions sell for about $80.

I think you should price the arrow(s) based on your time. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:45:17 pm »
I wouldn't ask for much if you like him. But if he insists on paying, I'd ask for a higher price if he wants stone. Maybe like $40 for stone, $30 for metal. I've sold wall hangers and shooters before, and you gotta ask what your time was worth, but then consider how much of a friend that person is to you and how much they're asking for. I'd ask for a modest price for only 2 arrows because word travels. If he buys two arrows from you for what he considers "a good deal", and they end up on the wall, when his brother in law Ralph comes over and asks "Hey man where did you get those killer arrows", he can say "Oh man this guy that works for me made 'em and didn't charge me all that much either".  Next thing you know you're gettin a call from Ralph and he wants a dozen for $200. That's the way I did it and it worked. At first they wanted 1 bow and 3 arrows, but when it was said and done I had made 6 bows, 3 arrows per bow.

~~Papa Matt

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:40 pm »
I charge $30-$40 per arrow for display arrows, depending on material.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:35:37 am »
i heard that the indians used to get more for one arrow in trade than they would for a good bow or even for a good horse
just because of the skill needed to make and the amount of time it takes even a skilled arrow maker.

i could be wrong though,maybe they just gave them out like candy on halloween 

by the handfulls lol

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:35:34 am »
 If I like and know the person it's free. Otherwise, it's usually $40, 45.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 05:05:45 pm »
I've heard $50.00 for stone tipped but have never sold one - sure have give a few away though :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 05:24:22 pm »
I've heard $50.00 for stone tipped but have never sold one - sure have give a few away though :).
I give away quite a few away also, mostly to the cub scouts who earn their arrow of light.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:28:47 pm »

[/quote]
I give away quite a few away also, mostly to the cub scouts who earn their arrow of light.  ;)
[/quote]

now thats just too cool 8) of ya Justin, dont let anyone kid ya, ya got a good heart

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 07:07:07 pm »
Tim, we all knew Justin had a good heart, its all the rest that is questionable! :o  :D  :-*
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:03:21 pm »
Don't rat me out guys. Some people still think I am a hardcase.  >:D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:30 pm »
 ;)