Author Topic: New Iron Wood bow finished.  (Read 18314 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: New Iron Wood bow finished.
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 06:37:10 am »
Thanks Wade and Marc I plan on shooting it more this weekend at the club shoot I
really like the way it performs so far.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 09:19:22 am »
Well I put about a hundred arrows through it this weekend at the club shoot,it held up good.
Couldn't beat out Old GregB with it but maybe if I keep practicing  I will get there.  :) Shoots the
shoot shafts with 160 trade points very nice also ,so I guess it will get a trip to the woods in
a month or so. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:31 am »
Somehow missed this one Pappy - that looks good, I'm glad you kept a peice to finish sounds like finally :). That dye job makes it look like a peice of osage. I got two peices of IW from up there, the gift from Mr.GregB of course and a stave from Ridgerunner - am anxious to get on em..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 06:01:21 am »
Need to get on it,I have been really impressed with this one and the ones Greg and Keith have turned out,don't know that it is better than Osage but I would rank it right up there close. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 09:04:07 am »
Couldn't beat out Old GregB with it but maybe if I keep practicing  I will get there.

Don't let Pappy fool you...he outshoots me more often then not. My winning our club shoot Saturday reminds me of an old sayin..."
even a blind hog picks up an acorn every once in a while!". ;D

Hope I can pick up a few "acorns" deer hunting this fall! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 07:19:04 am »
Ha it made meat. :) It done a mighty fine job.Shot through back bone to chest,2 yard shot.
Always some questions from new comers to the self bow if you can hunt with them and
my answer is always,they have done it for thousands of years,Also about how much weight
 for whitetail 50 is plenty ,I think arrow weight is the main thing.Deer steaks tonight. :) Now
it is really finished. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

orcbow

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 07:42:53 am »
Nice job Pappy!!!  And what a nice bow!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 08:35:37 am »
Good deal! I told you that you needed to make a bow out of that stave and not give it away like all the other hhb's in the past. Your first hhb bow, and look at what it helped you do! ;)

Further comment on selfbow's hunting ability...thus far from last weekend until today that I'm aware of, club members and friends have taken six deer. Jesse's (Leapingbare) the week before would make seven. Homemade sourwood arrow, cane arrow, and I think the rest with cedar or hickory arrow's. Pappy was also using tradepoint's, the rest with regular steel broadhead's. All the deer that I've seen had very impressive arrow penetration from the bow.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Ranger B

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 09:04:44 am »
Well said Greg.  I think many newcomers have an expectation of long shots and therefore don't feel that traditional kit is good.  In reality I hunted with a compound for several years and I killed deer but honestly they weren't much farther from my stand than the ones I've killed with a longbow.  I think the key is in the hunt and hunter.  We scout, put up a good stand and then exercise patience in anticipation of a good shot.   When you get the deer in at 15 yards or closer the longbow is as lethal as anything you could hope for.  If you expect to fling arrows at 30 yards then yes you may miss, but I've heard plenty of wheel bow misses at that range.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
 thats a goregous bow, the finish looks superb also. did you like ironwood? what part of the states did you cut it? (taking a guess you're an american like myself) my grampa lives on the mississippi, near lacrosse in wisconson, he said he could cus some, i'd just have to give him an idea of the width to cut, and winter;s dawning on us now, so i'd wanna cut it before the inner bark starts sticking ;D the bottom limb looks awesome, too. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 11:53:50 am »
Wow, great job, Pappy.  An excellent bow and an excellent harvest.  Congratulations on both.  You are my hero!!!  I am going to try to find some ironwood around here.  The guy who asked about blue beech was not far off:  my friend the arborist did some research for me and found that blue beech, hop hornbeam and ironwood are sometimes the same tree, depending upon where it is found.  Anyway, great job.  I have been hunting with my locust sapling bow, cane arrows and stone points this season, but so far, I have not been lucky. 

Dan

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2008, 01:04:47 pm »
Pappy, Did you say a 2yd shot? Why did'nt you just leap from the stand onto its back and cut its throat with the buck knife...lol    Just kidding, had to give you a little S*%@#. Nice harvest   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2008, 04:14:15 pm »
Nice bow, and enviable hunt.  Pappy, you are calling Hophornbeam "Ironwood".  Isn't there also an ironwood from South America?  Very dark, dense wood?  Have you heard of anyone making a bow from it?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »
Pappy,  go to this site for info on ironwood.  http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/CARCARA.pdf
 Dan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 05:30:02 am »
I don't know for sure Keith,there probably is.Thanks Dan,where you been ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good