Author Topic: KITH  (Read 137178 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: KITH
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2008, 10:00:31 am »
Man Steve, that is one purty knife! The glass and cholla really go together - nice package overall. I have a box of that Fenton slag that I bought at a rock shop in Branson, MO. I bopped out a few rough blades but have yet to finish one - I am once again inspired ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:11 am »
Dana, I used to be able to get big boulders of it from a rock shop near here-all different colors. The last time I was there, the guy said he wouldn't be able to get any more than what he already had. I think he said he got it from the Fenton company or something like that, and they were going out of business. It's pretty cool material to work- the texture is waxy, more like tough obsidian or good dacite than regular glass.

The stuff I have a line on is sitting on the shore of Lake Michigan at the site of old smelting plant that produced pig iron for shipment. Don't know if it will
any good or not. I really need to find some time before ice up.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:10 am »
That would be interesting Dana, show it if ya get some. Slag from an iron smelting operation - that might make some heavy points if it works.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:41 pm »
Hillbilly,

Where did you get that Cholla cactus wood at. That is some awsome looking stuff :o! Are those worm holes or does it always look like that?

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2008, 01:28:43 am »
Hillbilly,

Where did you get that Cholla cactus wood at. That is some awesome looking stuff :o! Are those worm holes or does it always look like that?

Tommy

Tommy....that Cactus may be some that I traded or just sent to others....When Cholla Dies...the heart of the Cactus rots away....leaving behind the Tough Skeleton of the Plant....that is what you are looking at....the Structure that Holds the Branches and Limbs of the Cactus up....when dry this stuff is as tough as Hickory is...but light as a Feather.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2008, 07:07:16 am »
I got behind on my posting.  I hate overtime.  I have seen some nice knives so far.  I especially like the cactus.  I am going to have to get my hands on some of that stuff.  Steve, you could have named it the Wholey Knife. ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2008, 07:40:08 am »
Dana.......your talking Coal Slag (Clinkers) correct....like the kind you used to be able to pick up around the Old Coal Power Plants....or from Basement Furnaces that We grew up with?? The Black Shiny stuff........

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:44:30 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2008, 07:43:34 am »
I'm talking about Fayette state park slag Mike, they made pig iron ignots there due to to availability of limestone and the deepwater bay.
The slag is a byproduct from the process. Never dawned on me when hillbilly said slag that it was from a glass factory whenever I hear some one say slag
I always think of stuff up here.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2008, 11:01:47 am »
Radius.. The easy way to make the loop of the trade complete !! Would be to take the knives you recived! from DanaM and sailordad and forward them to the ones you had drawn.. Wich are D.Tiller and woodsman1031.. And then all would be right with the world..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2008, 11:09:08 am »
Hillbilly,

Where did you get that Cholla cactus wood at.

That was a piece that Cowboy sent me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

radius

« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:37 pm »
that's one way!  i'm actually feeling much better about things now...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2008, 09:42:09 pm »
 Hmmm, does that Crypted message mean the circle is going to be unbroken?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2008, 05:07:44 pm »
I went to the mailbox today and found a knife waiting for me.  Thanks Steve.  This thing looks even better in person.  My wife had to tell me to quit jumping up and down.  I was shaking the house.  Can't help it, I'm a big boy.  As soon as I get done squirrel hunting this evening, I am going to put the finishing touches on mine and get them out tomorrow evening.  I know a couple people are have been waiting, but they will get there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:11 pm »
 You are one, lucky, guy, Eddie. That knife is pretty.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »
My last knife is done but just need to make the sheath. When thats finnished it will be in the mail!

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill