Author Topic: Knapadonia & Points #3 & #4  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Knapadonia & Points #3 & #4
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:42:36 am »
Attempts 3 & 4.  They're rough, but I am just starting.  They are made out of Dacite I collected from Glass Butte, Oregon.  I hope to someday make some that are capable of skewering a deer.  With that in mind, how do you test these heads without destroying them?  Can I shoot them at a paper plate and straw bales without breaking?

I am going to the Knap-in at Whidbey Island, Washington this weekend, and hope to get some pointers there.  Anybody else going?

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Knapadonia & Points #3 & #4
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:10:36 am »
Either of those points would skewer a deer if your arrow flies straight. Nice work. Improvement should come easy to you. ;) 8)
    Look for David Tiller at the knap-in. He'll be the guy that smells like lilacs and roses! ;D  Unless he's too busy with his new girlfriend he should be there. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:29:15 am »
Either of those points would skewer a deer if your arrow flies straight. Nice work. Improvement should come easy to you. ;) 8)
    Look for David Tiller at the knap-in. He'll be the guy that smells like lilacs and roses! ;D  Unless he's too busy with his new girlfriend he should be there. ;)     Pat
Dang Pat, we have always teased David about smelling pretty, but teasing him about the new ball and chain. That is kicking a guy while he is down. He has enough misery now without us throwing salt in the wounds.  The poor guy is probably dead broke now and cant even go to the bathroom without permission and you go and point it out and make him feel worse.  >:D Oh wait, he can read this can't he.  :-[ Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:28:17 am »
HAH. :D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:07 am »
Poor David - doesn't know what he's gettin into ::). OK, back to the points. Them look good Keith and you'll get better with time no doubt :). Plates over straw bails will work but you'll have a hard time pulling them back out, or you'll just have to pull them through which will tear up your fletching over time. If you can locate an old sofa cushion, they work great and won't hurt your arra's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 04:57:40 pm »
Keith, I will be camping out up there so we should run into eachother. Yep, as the guys say just follow your nose and you should find me!  ;D

Guys, you are all doomed at the Classic next year. DOOOOOMMMMEEEEDDDD!!!!! I think I will make up a concoction of the sweetest smelling scents I can lay my hands on and guess whos going to be smelling of lillacs??? DOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDD!!!

Did I mention my friend likes my hobbies? May even be able to get her into archery too. We shall see!

Did I mention ..... DOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEDDDD!!!  :o :o :o >:D >:D >:D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:46:41 pm »
PS: Sit down with Mick. He is the skinny guy everyone picks on. Thank god he has a great sense of humor or we would be running from his thrown Dalton and Clovis points. The guy peals the rock appart!!!! I keep trying to get him to teach me but I think I teased him too much over the years.

Joe Higgins is really good to and I hope Stue Murdock shows up. Steve Allely has also been known to show up to but I see him mostly at the Buttes. Man he makes great Native Northwest style bows and arrows. He turns out Great Basin arrow points so fast it makes my head spin!

Hmmm! Who else.... Well you just got to get over here and see.

I will be in Friday evenning arround 8pm (Earlier if I can make it!) to set up my tent and chew the fat. See you there!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:54:32 pm »
Cowboy - thanks for the tip.  I bet the next person that has a sofa out on the street saying "take for free" is going to be pissed off when he sees just the cushion missing...   >:D

David - Yes, but is the new BALL & CHAIN coming?  :-)  This is when you find out if she really likes your hobbies....  MY wife is coming...  I have met Mic (and his wife Holly is coming).  In fact I was over at his house a couple of weeks ago for some lessons.  I am very interested in seeing some NW bows so hope that Steve Allely shows.

Keith
PS:  Come prepared Dave, I bet my wife would buy some of your soaps. Not too fragrant please - do you have oatmeal/almond?  JHeez...  see what 14 years of marriage will do to ya?   ::)  Uh, how about 20 mules for me?  You should carry a Blacktail-in-heat or Saltlick soap for the hunters...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »
Thought about the hunter scent before but the market wasnt as great as the womens market. The huntings better for me!

I'll bring a couple honey oatmeal soaps up and you can see what ya like!

Just getting to know the lady and she had other plans already with her two boys for the weekend. Be meeting her for dinner on monday though.

Mick and Holly sure are some nice people. Say, can you PM me with Mick and Holly's phone number? I lost it...again! Unfortuanatly from what I have heard I dont think Steve is showing up this year.