Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 3221 times)

Brad Singley

New Guy
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:57:45 pm »
  Hello all,
   My name is Brad and I live here in Griffin, GA.  I am interested in meeting someone who would let me watch flintknapping being done.  I am very interested in learning this art form.  I could offer a few knifemaking lessons in return!  Thank you for any help as this seems to be the place to learn.

Brad Singley

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:53:37 pm »
Welcome Brad.  Can't help you unless you come out west a ways, and then I'm not sure what I do is knapp'n, but a form of breaking rocks none the less.  Someone will probably chime in that's in your neck of the woods.  In the mean time, go to YouTube and search for "knapping".  There's some great stuff there until the real thing comes along.  Also check the Events section for "Knapp Ins or Google that and search around. Good luck.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: New Guy
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:37 am »
Welcome aboard, Brad. Knap-ins are a great learning experience, you can see loads of knappers working, learn stuff, get good rock, and have fun hanging out. The season is winding down now, but we are having one near Burlington, NC in early Oct. (see the thread in the "shoots and events" forum, there will be one near Knoxville, TN in mid Oct. There is a good one i northern GA in early spring, and a good one in Gastonia, NC first weekend of August. Also a couple good ones in Alabama and FL. Just google "knap-in calendar." If you'll pick up a copy of DC Waldorf's "The Art of Flintknapping" book and Bob Patton's "Old Tools, New Eyes", they will teach you a lot of the background theory and give you a headstart on the game. The Youtube videos that Mike mentioned are great, too. I would recommend Scalp Creek's videos for starters.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.