Author Topic: Staghorn Sumac D Bow(Finally Broke)  (Read 22986 times)

Offline DanaM

Staghorn Sumac D Bow(Finally Broke)
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:22:46 pm »
I finally finished this bow, final stats are 57.5" NTN, 38#@26", 1.5" wide limbs tapering to 1/2" nocks, pear tip overlays, after resting has about 1.5" of reflex.
It has two knots in it, one on each limb, the top limb is stiff at the knot. Grip is hemp cordage with built up leather and sealed in spar varnish. I was only pulling about 25"
in the picture I went water skiing the night before and my shoulder was sore as heck, thats all I could manage. Going to have to see a doctor one of these days >:(

Also as I was taking the full draw picture it popped a little sliver at the knot, I will shoot it full of super glue and wrap it.
This bow is 95% broken, I pushed the wood to its limit :)
I think a longer wider piece will easily make a hunting weight bow. Sumac is very soft making the tip overlays a must, I think burnishing the
back would also help, it takes dry heat perhaps better than osage turning to putty when hot.
This may be the only Sumac in existence at least for now :D

Comments and questions welcomed.

Knot

Belly and my mark

Braced

Grip

Just Unbraced

Full Draw

One More
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:52:53 am by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

escanabajosh

Re: Staghorn Sumac D Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:32:44 pm »
looks good uncle dana......man, i called in sick today i should have came and visit.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:46:28 pm »
Thanks Josh, The bows mass is 12oz, light as a feather.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:47:23 pm »
Wow Dana i have been really excited to see this!  What a bow! :)  I will have to keep my eyes open for some sumac now :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »
Thanks David, it turned out ok, I wish I had another stave longer and wider so I could try again.
I would suggest you look for better wood than this :)

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:30:03 pm »
Even if its so-so wood i would like to try it sometime :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:43:27 pm »
Dana, that turned out to be a great looking little bow-and i'm impressed that it held that much reflex. I like seeing bows made from untested woods-great job.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:54:56 pm »
You did good Dana.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
Great job. Who'd a thunk...sumac. Tiller looks great. I bet it's easy to scrap, huh?

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:24:41 pm »
Steve I like messing around with different woods, I induced 4.5" of reflex and it kept 1.5" so not bad.

Thanks Justin, I pushed the limits on this one ;)

Okie it scrapes like hard butter :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:37:28 pm »
Dana, great job. How long had the wood cured and how did you process it? Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »
Danny I cut it last June at my brothers in central NY, about 3 months later I bandsawed it in half and peeled the bark. It sat all winter and spring
earlier this summer I roughed it out and let it dry for a few weeks. It has pith in the center but I managed to tiller it all out. The heart wood is green
not something you see in wood very often. If yer interested in trying it I would suggest finding one at least 3.5" to 4" in diameter and no knots :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:59:42 pm »
I have to admit Im suprized it made it. Who'd of thunk it..... ::)
Looks like it might do good sinew backed eh?  Did it splinter on the back or the belly?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 06:22:49 pm »
Ryan it splintered on the back at the knot, If you happen to run across a nice clean piece about 4" in diameter cut it and send my way, we can work a trade out :)

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:33 pm »
Nothin like good ol yooper ingenuity, I'm gonna do that hemlock bow, got some rawhide coming hey escanabejosh, I'm only about 50 miles from ya here in Menominee.
VB