Author Topic: arrow head my boy found??  (Read 5815 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
arrow head my boy found??
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:19:53 am »
Can any of you guy's help with info on this head?? It is made out of local stone (NC)..

David

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: arrow head my boy found??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:18:06 pm »
It looks like an unfinished preform-maybe a Guilford?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:31:43 am »
Yeah I agree, looks like a preform. Is the material quartzite?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline knightd

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:26:33 am »
I don't know allot about the material but it does have the small shiny pieces of quartz shining in it. looks just like most of the rock you find in the ground here in NC..

David

Offline knightd

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:14:02 pm »
I'm going to try and finish it and haft it on a bamboo shaft for this up coming season..

David

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:16 pm »
save that artifact..it is real

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:40 pm »
i dont know about the history but your boy is lucky to have found such a great artifact
Modern Day Tramp

Offline knightd

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:23 pm »
OK I will just put it up for him..He will certainly lose it if I don't..I have found a few when I lived in fl. Most of them with a break in them I touched up and used them for their originally  intended purpose.. Have any of you Guy's heard of Newnan's lake?? It is close to Gainsville fl.

David

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 03:01:01 am »

Knightd;
     I  know newnan's lake.  My Girlfriend used to live about three streets up from the lake, by the fish camp.  124, or 5th, I think.  Lot of gators in there. (The lake, not the college )... Like to come up around your boat.  They found a bunch of old dugouts made of pine, and couple of years back, when the lake was low.  They took pictures, and measurements, etc. and left them where they were, in the mud.  I made the mistake of offering to do her drain field for her, and while digging, I found flakes, and some scrapers, and some pieces, with a distinct " V " notch in them.  I am guessing, but maybe an arrow scraper, or something to make a point in a dowel, or something.  No Arrowheads though.  I have found some flakes, and fossilized fish bones, and some arrow heads, down in Hypoluxo, around the Congress ave. area.  Used to be Melears Dairy across the street.  A good friend of mine used to live there, and he showed me where he had been digging, and several pieces of posts, that were in a circle, about a foot and half down, and we found some broken arrow heads, and pieces.  He had some intact heads, and various implements.  We wanted to do more digging, but the place was being developed, and there are houses sitting on the site now.
                                                           Stick bender.

Offline knightd

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 10:13:05 am »
Coming from the other side from where your girl friend was at where the road forks there is a church on the right I used to live on that road.. They went through and was making the road wider just a couple years ago and you could walk through where they where doing the construction and find a handfull of points in a few hours It was a gold mine but then every one found out and it turned into a zoo and they started writing tickets and running every body out of there. :( . I remember when they found the dugouts. When I was young me and my dad used to catch gators in that lake every week..Cant do that no more but if you go fishing at night you can turn the light on and it looks like the stars in the sky theres so many eyes..

David

Offline knightd

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 10:47:37 am »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

David, I take you are around the same age as me, since you talk about catching gators.  Yeah, that lake is chock full of them.
Like I said we would be fishing, and a head would pop up, and then disappear, and then another one would pop up and so on.  Yeah, I remember My Grand father, and my Dad hunting gators.  I am sure there are quite a few sites where you could find artifacts, around that lake.  Like I said I have found a few flakes, and scrapers, and such, but no arrow heads, or spear, or knife blades.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:07 pm »
  I've done a little digging around the lake myself and I might have been part of that zoo, ::). Whow, you guys must be old too, I've only heard stories about catching gators. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:35 pm »

Yepher, Eddie, I know that every morning when I get out of bed, I find another warranty that has run out.

Wayne