Author Topic: Centerline question  (Read 4773 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Centerline question
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:19 pm »
I finally had a bit of time to try some knapping.  I'm just messing around a bit and managed to thin down one side of a "would be" point.  The other side is really lumpy with some big ridges.  Now I need to get rid of some of that mass on the other side.  The edge is really favoring the flattened side.  How do I now get a flaking platform below the centerline of the stone?  Any help is much appreciated.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: Centerline question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:00:18 am »
Rick you move the centerline by breaking the edge off at about 90 degrees, hold the spall flat side down
and nibble the edge off this will slowly bring the center line towrds the other side. Not sure if that makes sense of not
hard to explain easy to show ya.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »
I believe the technique is called "turning the edge".

With the flat side down, knock off some width by "tapping" off short flakes with downward strokes....you're not looking for long flakes at this point.  As you're tapping off flakes you'll notice the edge beginning to favor the side that's facing up.

Here is a good series of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAERJnfcdJ4

Marty says at the beginning that this series of videos is for advanced knappers but he uses all the terminology and techniques that every knapper needs to be familiar with.

Here's another one of my favorite video series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qk8XWSbqk

Hope this helps. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:46 am »
Depending on how big the point is and how thin the edge is, you can either scrub the edge downward with an abrading stone (good for small, thin points), nibble or shear it off with your pressure flaker, or as already mentioned, carefully trim it with light taps of a billet or hammerstone. Patrick has some good advice on watching the youtube videos, there's a lot of knowledge in them free for the watching.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:35 am »
That helps me too.  I tend to get the same flat side/lumpy side issue too.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  I messed around a bit today (at lunch, then at the beach with the kid after work)  Knapping is great because you can do it anywhere.  I did as advised with cleaning off the edge with the flat side down.  It worked good.  Now if I can just start getting some nice long flakes.  Thanks again,  I'll check out those youtube vids.
Traverse City, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »
Wish we could get together sometime Rick. That's about all you can do to raise your edge - tap, shear, bop, flake, grind. Lot easier to show than to tell :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:57 pm »
Same goes for pressure flaking too! Sheer off the edge, flip the peace, put flaker below centerline and press of flake. So easy an austrolapithicus can do it!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:11 pm »
Same goes for pressure flaking too! Sheer off the edge, flip the peace, put flaker below centerline and press of flake. So easy an austrolapithicus can do it!

David T
Maybey I'll convert.  I could use a change. ;D
Traverse City, MI