Author Topic: What are the negative effects of Chrysals?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Sidewinder

What are the negative effects of Chrysals?
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:48:44 pm »
I'm not sure how to correctly spell it but you get the question. I understand what causes it ( over compression of belly fibers) my question pertains to what are the negative effects and can you ignore them or must they be dealt with? I have my first Osge stave bow shooting like a demon. The tiller is a little off on the crooked limb and the whole thing had 2" deflex on each limb and after shooting it is at 2 1/4" on each tip and then back to normal in a couple hours after unbraced. I know how the chrysals occured when I was overdrawing the bow last night ( over zealous). I would post pics but my camera is toast ( thanks to my lovely teenage daughter) this bow was my first stave bow and has a lot of character on one limb and the other one could'nt be straighter. Anyway I love the way it shoots right now and reallly don't want to do anything else to it I don't have to. Thats why I'm asking. Oh by the way the bow is 58" n2n 60# @28 but tillered to 63 @29" its 1 3/8 a the fades to 7/16 at the tips and it flat bangs em in there. Its light, beautiful and fast. If I get a camera I will post pics, otherwise just let me know what you guys think on the chrysals.
 Thanks.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Kegan

Re: What are the negative effects of Chrysals?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:04:10 pm »
Chrysals shorten the life of a bow. I've had some that tunred itno frets and just hinge the limb beyond repair before- especially in stressed designs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What are the negative effects of Chrysals?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:17 pm »
When a limb chrysals it is in effect being made thinner in that area thus weakening the limb. Eventually the limb will fail.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC