Author Topic: "Double Trouble" A Gift from SawFiler  (Read 10506 times)

Offline david w.

"Double Trouble" A Gift from SawFiler
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:34:59 pm »
   On Friday at about 11:00A.M.   I noticed the mail carrier with this big long tube. ;D   I saw it had my name on it. :)  I imediately opened it and i found the nicest bow i have ever seen.   It is a 55" Sinew backed osage recurve #42 @ 28"with a hognose snake skin over the sinew.  WOW!   I LOVE THIS BOW!!   IT has the finest craftmanship i have ever seen on a bow anywhere.  More than $700 compounds or anyhting else.   What amazes me is how SawFiler  got a full 28" draw from a 55" bow.  It amazes me.   I cant say enough good things about this bow.  It is soooooo nice :)
I have never seen a snakeskined bow in person and it is one of the coolest things i have ever seen :)   This hognose snake has a very cool pattern.

No thats not it also SawFiler sent 5 extremely nice cane arrows. :)  These are sooo nice :)   These are the nicest arrows i have ver seen too. :)   SawFiler plugged the end with osageand then cut the nock.   I think that is really cool.  He does such a nice job.  HE aslo mentioned these are his first cane arrows witch i dont believe. ;D   This can also seems like really tough stuff like everyone says just as tough as carbon i think.

This is an extremely fast bow.  I was amazed something could fling an arrow liket his does.  It left me in awe.
You also know this is a great bow and arrow set because i have shot this bow out to 30 yards and i havent even lost an arrow ;D ;D

I LOVE IT!!! THANK YOU MR. WALKER! ;D ;D ;D

Pictures are soon to come.  i asked my mom to go get a camera battery but she wont so its not my fault ;)  but when i get one lots and lots of pictuers will be up.  This bow is gorgeaus! :)

Here is some background info SawFiler gave me on the bow

"I made that bow this spring to take to the TN Classic.  It started out as nothing more than a sliver off a larger stave I was working on, but I just couldn't see throwing it away so I decided to try to get a bow out of it.  That is the first semi bendy handle bow I ever made and also the first sinew backed bow too. You can thank El Destructo for helping me out on the sinew job, as I had lots of help from him.
  It originally had black racer skins on it, but I tried an experamental finish on those and it (the finish) cracked.  It shoots pound for pound as fast as any bow I've made and is plenty fast enough to kill a deer.
  I was talking to DanaM, telling him about it and how I never shot it much and he suggested I give it to a kid since it was only 42#  Well, I already gave most of the kids I know that have an enterest in archery a bow, but then I thought of you. Your always on PA and I just thought you might like it. 
Anyway, I stripped the black racer skins off and took an eastern hognose snake skin I had that I didn't have a mate too and split it down the center and it was just barely wide enough to cover it.  It's definitely different!   The handle area is built up with leather. "

"Those were the first cane arrows I ever made.  El Destructo has tons of experience working with sinew and was very good to give advice on how to apply it.  I actually sinewed it twice. The first time I done it, it popped off   I went back and scored the back with a hacksaw blade and it stuck that time.  BTW, the sinew is from an elk a 12 year old friend of mine killed in eastern KY." 

"I almost forgot to tell you. I call that bow "Double trouble"I sinewed it twice, snakeskin backed it twice and finished it twice.  I learned a lot from that little bow. If you ever get to come to the Classic, you'll have to bring it with you. It (the bow) and those arrows have already been there. Now all we need is you.  I tell ya, you would learn and see more in one weekend down there than you could in years of trial and error.
  Everybody, and I mean everybody bends over backwards to help each other.
 That little bow's been shot by a bunch of the PA guys too. GregB, Ryano, and I think PatB might have even shot it too. Heck, they might have rubbed a little good medicine off onto it"

I believe they have i havent lost an arrow ;D

This is a class act by Mr. Walker and i am very grateful.   I love this bow!   I have carried this bow everywhere with me around my house, my bedroom, the bathroom ;D  seriously i took it to the bathroom.  I couldnt let it out of my sight ;D

And thanks to El Destructo for his expertiece in sinewing and Dana for suggesting giving it to a kid.  I love being a kid ;D ;D
 This really is a great bow and it has an incredible amount of power.  i would love to hunt with it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Pics to come. :)

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

radius

Re: "Double Trouble" A Gift from SawFiler
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:04:10 am »
ok, david...don't take the bow to the can, buddy!

But kudos to Sawfiler for being so cool and so generous...can't wait to see the pics!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:26:05 am »
Your very welcome ;)  It tickles me that your so happy with it ;D
 Here is the only pictures I have of it.   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:24:47 am »
Beautiful bow,I love those skins. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:43:48 am »
Very nice!  Shannon is sure a good feller.....and he is from Kentucky.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:00:50 am »
Very nice gesture Shannon and you couldn't have picked a more deserving recipient. David has eagerly participated in PA since he first came on. This kind of "passing it on" is what keeps the passing it on tradition alive. 8) 8) 8)
  OK David. We want to see one of those monster Ill. deer laying at your feet this fall. ;)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:15 am »
Shannon Walker is about the nicest, selfless, gentleman you'll ever meet.  :)  He gives like this regularly to others who aren't as fortunate to have access to a raft of natural materials around them.  8)  When asked what he wants in return he'll just repply "nothin."  ::)
I myself am still trying to think of a away to repay him for all the gifts he has given..... :-\

I'm still looking for some water snakes Shannon and the first set I get are yours buddy. ;D

Congratulations David. That bow will be something you remember for the rest of your life. Take good care of it and it should last you the rest of your life.  8)  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:20:02 am »
David I think you love this bow ;) ;D

I knew ya would and told Shannon that ya would, it sure was fun to be in this secret from the beginning :)

ya that Kentucky hillbilly is a pretty daurn good guy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:43:16 am »
Very good FOR you David and..... very good OF you Sawfiler!!

I believe that "Paying forward" can make the whole world a better place and sounds like Sawfiler is doing his part!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »
That's a beauty David, hope to see more pics soon! That was great of you Shannon. I think this post sums up what primitive archery is all about.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »
Just the fact that this bow was made by SawFiler certifies it as a very classy bow. Any chance of someone cranking this bow back to full draw?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:40 pm »
What an awesome bow and story - love the way you integrated the belly skin - didn't ever think of that as a possibility.....
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:52:36 pm »
Thats what makes life great the small gestures that are made ,good job Sawfiler, Dano , in paying it forward. David really glad you like your bow ,put it to good use and post many pictures . They way it sounds it will have good medicine
                                                       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:28 pm »
SawFiler is definately a craftsman and gentleman of no mean rank. I'm not suporised by the offer. That's one great bow too :)!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »
Thank guys, I'm humbled by your comments. (we need an avatar for "blush")
 The fact is, I see no reason why many of the people here can't do the same. 
Think about it... How many of us that make several bows a year have a few sitting around that we don't shoot?  The way I see it, if I don't use it, I don't need it. Why not give it to somebody that would love to have it?
  My wife has a yard sale once in a while and when she asks me do I have anything to sell, I say no.  Rather than try to sell somebody something and have to listen to them  haggle with you trying to get something for nothing, I'd rather just give things to people who'll will appreciate them. ;)
  Now, where's the pictures? ??? We want pictures!!!
                                            Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.