Author Topic: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge  (Read 94712 times)

Minuteman

Re: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2008, 02:35:38 pm »
I appreciate the tellin Mims. I ain't one to say ones better or worse. I can say I've made more good bows out of osage than any WW but then again I can only make bows out of the wood I have. I'm almost out of osage and I got TONS of hikree so.... I think I'll start makin bows out of hikree. That is, after I have the surgery on my elbow .....torn tendons suck :'( Probably be fully recovered by March I figure.I'll start makin My WW ELB then fellers. :D

DCM

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 03:33:03 pm »
Dang Chris, did not realize you had a bummed up elbow.  Hope it works out ok.  Plumb till March sounds pretty ominous.  Hope it doesn't much impair you, although I don't see how one could navigate bow hunting with a broken wing of any kind.  Might have to warm up the raffle this year, reckon? 

Ya'll ain't got osage trees, or jess ain't able for wood cuttin' of any kind?

To be honest I've made so many osage bows and it's real pleasure when I work with something else, in particular nice straight grained stuff like hickory.  Made a couple last Spring and it was fun to break out the old spokeshave, for example.  Been getting a heap of shop time here in the last few weeks, more probably than in recent years.  Have probably 5 or 6, all osage selfbows, in various stages of completion.  Feels good to know I still have some of that fire still left in my belly.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:23 pm »
DCM- I think most of us admit that Osage is the better wood. We can jsut make good bows out of the whitewoods too- which makes the wood more appealing when that's all you have got ;D! Can't see how anyone's feeling would get hurt by such a statement, I know mine aren't.

Question though. Can Osage make a 6' ELB still? I'm in need of good dry wood so I'm tempted to see if I can trade for a piece, but would really like to try for a long ELB-ish style bow. Possible?

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2008, 04:10:22 pm »
DCM- I think most of us admit that Osage is the better wood. We can jsut make good bows out of the whitewoods too- which makes the wood more appealing when that's all you have got ;D! Can't see how anyone's feeling would get hurt by such a statement, I know mine aren't.

Question though. Can Osage make a 6' ELB still? I'm in need of good dry wood so I'm tempted to see if I can trade for a piece, but would really like to try for a long ELB-ish style bow. Possible?

I happen to know someone who has a couple of sticks that just might do that.  ::) ;)

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2008, 04:18:38 pm »
Hey Chris,
I did not know you are on the "disabled" list too this summer... :(
Maybe you and Tracy can get together and one of ya hold the bow while the other draws and releases, kind of a Bowzooka... ;D

Sure am gleaning a lot of info from everyone here on the subject, from what I have read and seen here it would appear that we have some very talented folks making some fine bows out of whatever they can get wherever they may be. Sort of like how it must have been back long ago...

ThimoS

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2008, 04:26:55 pm »
Kegan I've made over 10 sasafrass elbs 4 of them are over 80#. It makes a great elb.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2008, 04:29:21 pm »
Kegan I've made over 10 sasafrass elbs 4 of them are over 80#. It makes a great elb.

Excellent, thanks Thimo. If anyone would know on heavy sassafras bows, you would :).

DCM

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:46 pm »
Kegan,

It's like asking if a dump truck can haul your groceries.  Heck yeah.  But for a "full compass" bow to draw 50# @ 28", 72" NTN is just too much wood.  It's tricky to maintain lateral stability when your finished bow is, in order to follow the elb pattern faithfully, inside of 1" at the handle.  The outer limb needs to be really little as well, like 5/16".  I just ain't brave enough to do that well.  If you make it say 1 1/8" at the arrow pass it's tough to maintain the 8:5, have it bend at all in the middle and not come in 80#, or thump the hell outa you with handshock.  The wood is just too dense.  Heck 62" would be more lenght than you need for a full compass bow.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
Kegan,

It's like asking if a dump truck can haul your groceries.  Heck yeah.  But for a "full compass" bow to draw 50# @ 28", 72" NTN is just too much wood.  It's tricky to maintain lateral stability when your finished bow is, in order to follow the elb pattern faithfully, inside of 1" at the handle.  The outer limb needs to be really little as well, like 5/16".  I just ain't brave enough to do that well.  If you make it say 1 1/8" at the arrow pass it's tough to maintain the 8:5, have it bend at all in the middle and not come in 80#, or thump the hell outa you with handshock.  The wood is just too dense.  Heck 62" would be more lenght than you need for a full compass bow.

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I wanted a big ol' bruiser of a bow, about 85#. From what you've said, that a 6' Osage bow of 85# would be oaky- correct?

DCM

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2008, 05:20:24 pm »
Heck yeah.  Good osage, moisture control, careful craftsmanship and 1 1/8" will make that much bow and more.  For 28" draw and under you might want a more shallow than full compass tiller.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2008, 06:03:46 pm »
Excellent! Only mys shortest bows come out truly circular.

This thread is my new learning tool :D!

Minuteman

« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2008, 08:42:06 pm »
No, Mims I won't be eating any venison this winter unless someone brings it to me wrapped up and ready for the freezer. ;) Its hurtin bad enough now that theres no extracurricular work going on. I'm getting my firewood cut, finishing this last bid I'm doin and maybe a few odd jobs then its under the knife I go. I just hope it makes things better not worse.
 Soon as I'm better though the first thing I'm doin is a Hik LB. Got lotsa staves to choose from just can't do much with one good arm....livin vicariously through you fellers!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »
Well, the sassafras is dry, so I'm straightenning it right now. It should be done in a week or two, to account for the backing and tempering the belly.And I don't want this sassafras to blow on me!

Wish me luck :)

Minuteman

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2008, 12:20:48 pm »
I'm waiting to see how this goes Kegan. ???
 What are ya backin it with again?

orcbow

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2008, 01:43:44 pm »

ThimoS- Did you back your sass. ELB's?