Author Topic: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge  (Read 94705 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2008, 07:01:48 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm glad the tiller tunred out the way it did. Still off, but with the character (an undulation through the handle, a bunch of knots in one limb, and some crooks left and right). I want to start another one, slightly heavier, and hopefully unbacked. I just need to cut a tree here.

Minuteman

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:59 pm »
Kegan, :( I hate to break the news to you but that weight bow will send a broadhead tipped arrow through any critter in North America( barring some zoo animals)! ;D
 Is it all sapwood?
  Have you done any testing with the heartwood yet to see what kinda qualities it has?
 I have access to a buncha sass. trees and I also have some 5 year old cured stuff in the barn.

ThimoS

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2008, 07:33:32 am »
Kegan great job. It came our perfect.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »
Minuteman- No! Don't say that! I need monster bow :o! What if bullet-proof alines attack :D ;D?

Thanks guys. The bow is both sapwood and heartwood. The sapwood on the sassafras around here is very thin on these smaller tress, so I just treat it like whitewood and leave the sapwood intact. It's only about 1/8" thick on this piece. On some of the larger tress it can be as much as 1/4", but no more. I think thsat the heartwood is only slightly better tan the sapwood, and that being in compression. This bow is a very pleasent bow to shoot, but needs a good deal of prettying up. I definately want to sart another one, unbacked. Just have to find a suitable tree to cut.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2008, 12:47:19 am »
Well, I pulled the elm stave out of the rafters and it's a little more twisted than I had remembered...might be able to get an ELB out of it but maybe not. There is a bigger one out in the barn that I need to de-bark and check out next. I also have some maple planks that have been drying for about 24 years now. Maybe I'll try a board bow version... :-\

Offline Kegan

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »
Well, I pulled the elm stave out of the rafters and it's a little more twisted than I had remembered...might be able to get an ELB out of it but maybe not. There is a bigger one out in the barn that I need to de-bark and check out next. I also have some maple planks that have been drying for about 24 years now. Maybe I'll try a board bow version... :-\

The Thomspon borther's said to turn the satve into a board to let it dry. It'd definately keep the back nice and flat too :).

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2008, 11:18:22 am »
By "turn the stave into a board" do you mean mill it out and square it up? Never tried that with a stave from a tree before...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2008, 04:03:15 pm »
Somehing like that. I don't have it here, but it says to turn it into a "clear, sound billet" that's "3 inches square". He Later goes on to say the back should be perfectly flat and the rain should run from end to end- just as we know they should today on any board stave. And considering they were using lemonwood, snakewood, and lancewood bows form England, I doubt they shipped them there with the back ring full intact.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2008, 11:44:43 am »
Not sure if a clean billet 3 inches square will be possible out of this elm. Might have to head to that maple. It is all flitch cut and over 20 years drying. Bout time I did something with it besides move it and stack it...

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:38 am »
This is couple of my making, all within 5/8 rule.

105#/30" , small hornbeam overlays

90#/33" selfnock ash

90#/32" hornnock ash

120#/32" selfnock ash

Enjoy!

Jaroslav

Offline longfletch

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2008, 01:54:24 pm »
jaroslav, those look sweet!! and very powerful. do you mind sharing the specs of the bows?
bryan
i like poetry, long walks and the beach and poking dead things with a stick

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2008, 03:48:48 pm »
The biggest is 37 mm wide and the smalest about 34 mm wide. The 120# bow has about 3 cm (little more than 1" set, others have that or less.

I shot the 120# bow at the weekend it sends 12 mm tapered ash shaft with very small bodkin, that weighing 52-55 gram at some 220 yards. It is rocket launcher.

Jaro

Offline Dano

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »
Very nice work Jaro. 120#  :o
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

ThimoS

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »
Jaro. Great work as usual. And the guy shooting it proves you don't have to be the Hulk to shoot a warbow.

I'm beginning mine as of yesterday. It is out of elm.

Offline cracker

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
Does anyone have any notions of how parsimmon would work for an ELB? I have a couple of huge trees on my property and was thinking of cutting one.R.C.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?