Author Topic: 2 Osage Plains bows  (Read 19079 times)

Offline YewArcher

2 Osage Plains bows
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:42:53 pm »
Here are a few Osage Orange Plains bows. The one pictured on the top has conventional nocks. The lower one is more authentic with side nocks.

These are the other horse bows. We seldome here of them, seldom are they replicated. They are not the most efficiant design, not utilising much of the limb but boy are they cool!! They shoot an arrow hard and fast. Tough to get acurate with but that is part of the challenge of primitive bows. I have no doubt they could take down any big game animal with a well placed arrow. The hardest part is holding them.....the tiller is extremly delicate and if you hold the bow a tad off the tiller gets off. No big deal they shoot great.

Here are the specs.

Bow # 1 The conventional
40" n 2 n
Osage Orange
7 white tail tendons
Conventional nocks
53#@23"

Bow #2 The Authentic
40" n 2 n
Osage Orange
7 white tail tendons
Side nocks
55#@23"

Here they are unbraced:

Belly:

Back:

Braced:

Close up of top nocks. The Plains Indians would have used horse hair for the bundle on the Authentic bow. I used dyed white tail deer tail.....should be good MOJO for hunting.

Lower nock. Notice the wraped excess string on the Authentic. This was common on the originals

Full draw on the Conventional

Full draw on the Authentic:

There you can really see how the tiller can get strange depending on how you hold the bow and string. I think the pinch draw wuld be of great benifit to these bows. Something I will have to learn.

Thanks for looking.

SJM

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: 2 Osage Plains bows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:13 pm »
Yew, your bows are authentically awesome. Very impressive. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:07:20 pm »
Really Sweet looking pair of bows.  They look so authentic.  Really beautiful work.  Thats an amazing amount of weight and draw length for such short bows.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:26 pm »
Great lookin bows, they do look like they would be tough to get real accurate with. But hey on a horse a few feet from a Buff, whata need?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »
Beautiful work Yew!! I really like replica bows, I think they are a great way of keeping a part of history alive and yours are great examples. Are those sinew strings on them?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:56 pm »
Good looking bows yew I might try that sometime

Ron

Roger

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:17:25 am »
Nice!....try drawing that bow with a pinch grip to the breastbone and use a snap release. You may find that you like it better. It's better for the bow for sure.
great bows...sinew is a lot of work.

R

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 01:53:01 am »
That is quite a draw.  Look at those string angles.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:01:19 am »

WOW!!!...that's quite some draw on these little bows! i'm impressed!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:33:02 am »
Very nice ,that is getting all you can get out of a piece of wood.Well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:11 am »
Very authentic looking, one question would these have been shot with a pinch grip release?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:53 am »
Thanks guys, Yes. These would have been shot with a pinch release. That is something I will need to practice. They are probably to heavy for that style of release though. I would suspect that the true pinch style bows were closer to 45#. It will be a challenge.

SJM

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 08:45:51 am »
Thanks fer the answer :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 10:43:16 am »
 Very authentic looking bows Yewarcher, Looks like they could be in a museum ;)  you did a great job on the sinew and nocks. I noticed the handle section looks relatively stiff, Was that intentional as per authentic style or your own liking?

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 10:46:39 am »
Thanks for the comments. These are not supposed to bend through the handel. The handel area is curved forward (see unbraced) and the limbs start bending after this section. This is my understanding of these bows after much research and study, They are not suppsed to bend through the handel. If they did they could easily be drawn to 26" or so but if you tillere dit so I believe that you would pull the profile right out. Evidence from relics found would indicate the tiller shown.

SJM