Author Topic: whitewood ELB  (Read 8878 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: whitewood ELB
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »
 :D I love it! Nowadays,when somebody spouts the "company line" either because of agenda,bias,lack of experience or basic ignorance, there's a slew of experienced, objective bowyers out there to counter this spoon-fed myth...

I remember well known bowyers saying the same line about Ipe, and they had never seen it, much less actually used it..

Welcome to bowmaking reality...some folks blaze trails, others regurgitate what they want to...

Rich..don't look back :o

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 09:16:57 pm »
There shouldn't even be a "company line", we make our bows , we shoot our bows and we share what we LEARN with others. In the process some of us learn more or un-learn a little... it's a hobby. :)
And I miss Mojam already...  :(

Minuteman

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »
Good to see ya Paul!
 Yeah I built a hickory LB first year into this bowyerin thing. Nice and long about an inch and a quarter wide. Had no idea how wet it was now but know now it was NOT nearly dry enough. I also foolishly used a artificial sinew string(nylon) that stretched to beat the band. It was worse than a dog it was a dead dog to be blunt.
 I've got some nice long shagbark staves in the garage. Who is up for a white wood longbow challenge? ;D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 10:18:04 pm »
Hi Chris,
I think some whitewood Long Bows would be a great idea. I have some elm that I have been waiting to try and an ELB would be a good addition to my wood bow "pile"... Course, after seeing those Yew beauties of John's at Mojam the white wood will be pale in comparison... ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 10:28:07 pm »
just remember

just cause its pretty,doesnt mean it functions well. ugly bows can out shoot a pretty bow if its made well and shot by the right hands.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:34 pm »
  Rich, you said what I wanted too. Remember back, forever, when Jim Ham said you couldn't build bows from kiln- dried wood? Don't look back ,Play and have fun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dano

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
Get it all out there Sailordad, don't hold back. ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Rich Saffold

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:29:30 am »
Eddie, Ya that "old Leatherwall" mentality needs to be quashed.  Some newbie might actually believe it..  I'm sure Jim probably chuckles about that one too..

We both live in areas of great botanical diversity, and I bet the list of longbows made from different species of  trees in our areas alone would be in the hundreds.. Heck where I live it does that..but you guys have more large pythons running around to back them with! :o ;D..

Paul If you make a warbow style Elm bow and both temper it and heat it into  a subtle r/d profile..It will perform at the hightest level.. All else that matters is keeping the wood very dry. Thimo has been posting a bunch of heavy whitewood longbows on Paleoplanet lately..so he has been the latest relatively new bowyer to be keeping the old myths were they should be..

buried...

Rich

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 12:46:44 am »
Hi Rich,
I might try to keep it simple for the first one. I usually make flatbows so the whole ELB concept will be a first for me...I was considering a Maere Heath style till all this came up. Just a plain old style long bow that bends and shoots would suit me fine. :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:26 am »
       While preparing my mass chapter I made about 50 elbs from every wood I could think of including white woods, tropical woods, osage, yew, red oak and literaly everything I could get my hands on. Admittedly I made them a bit on the fast and not too perfect side but as long as the wood was dry I can't say I could point to any one wood and say it was better than another. These bows went from 35# to about 140#. Elm, hornbeam and maple are amoung my favorites. Steve